Problem Recording output of ZEDi10 4 channel mixer

Windows 8.1, Audacity 2.1.3

SETUP:

1. Zedi10 4 channel mixer connected to laptop via USB cable.
  2. Multiple instruments connected to the ZEDi10 inputs to be recorded by Audacity
    or
  3. Playing MP3 from laptop to ZEDi10 over USB input, multiple instruments connected to the ZEDi10 (playing over the MP3) to be recorded by Audacity. In this case I would like to record the L-R output from my mixer which is output over channels 3 & 4.

PROBLEM: Currently I can record only ONE channel from the mixer. I cannot get Audacity to recognize channels 2-4 of the ZEDi10.

I read the "Multi Channel Recording " section in the FAQ. Not sure from that how to get multi channel recording working on Audacity. It seems this would be a common requirement for Audacity users who have multi channel devices like the ZEDi10.

Thank you!

In this case I would like to record the L-R output from my mixer which is output over channels 3 & 4.

I’m not sure if that’s possible. By default, Audacity is probably going to pick-up channels 1 & 2 as left & right. Or, you should be able to configure the mixer to send-out the main (2-channel) mix over USB. (Most “USB mixers” only send the 2-channel main mix to USB, but apparently yours can be configured as a multi-channel interface.)

You’ll have to experiment with the mixer settings. Your manual says:

The USB output source can be set up in several different ways to match your workflow.

I read the "Multi Channel Recording " section in the FAQ. Not sure from that how to get multi channel recording working on Audacity. It seems this would be a common requirement for Audacity users who have multi channel devices like the ZEDi10.

Audacity isn’t really a multi-channel DAW. Most Audacity users are recording in 2-channel stereo (or mono) and producing stereo programs, sometimes mixing multiple (separately recorded) stereo or mono tracks.

Your mixer came with Cubase which is designed for multi-track recording & mixing.

1. Playing MP3 from laptop to ZEDi10 over USB input, multiple instruments connected to the ZEDi10 (playing over the MP3) to be recorded by Audacity.

That all depends on the configuration & capabilities of your mixer/interface. Usually, you would monitor the backing track without re-recording it. The new track(s) It can be mixed-in during post production.

The “trick” is monitoring yourself directly with headphones (not through the computer, which will introduce latency/delay) while optionally monitoring a backing track at the same time. Some interfaces offer that option, and your mixer can probably do it too but you’ll have to figure that out. (That only applies when recording with a microphone.)

DVDdoug, Thanks for the reply. I wanted to add a few more details and determine if what I am trying to do is still not available with Audacity.

1. I am ok with ONLY recording 1 or 2 channel output from my ZEDi mixer into Audacity.
  2. My USB connection between the mixer and computer provides 4 channel bi-directional connections.
  3. Yes I can set up my mixer to choose what goes out over the 4 USB bi-directional connections. I cannot choose which of the 4 USB channels are used by what (like moving the L-R outputs to channels 1 & 2)

My question / requirement is:

1. Can I enable Audacity to see all 4 channels as potential inputs (recognizing that it will use a maximum of 2)?
  2. If the answer to #1 is yes can I select which 1 or 2 input channels for Audacity to use? The L - R output of my mixer is on USB channels 3 & 4 and that is what I would select as input to Audacity.

It depends on the hardware drivers.
If the ZEDi has a multi-channel WDM or WASAPI driver, then Audacity should be able to record all 4 channels simultaneously.
If the drivers only provide multi-channel support with ASIO, then you may be better to use a recording application that supports ASIO.

Go into the Help menu and find “Audio device info”.
Save the Audio device info somewhere on your computer where you can find it easily (perhaps your Desktop), then attach that file to your reply (see here: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1)
That will show us what devices Audacity can see, and their capabilities.

Thank you Steve. Attached is the “Audio Device” information you requested for review.
deviceinfo.txt (5.77 KB)

The ZEDi-10 appears to not be connected. You need to connect the ZEDi-10 to your computer first, then launch Audacity, then get the device info.

Here is the “Device Info” file from Audacity that you requested with my ZEDi10 device attached.
deviceinfo.txt (9.77 KB)

I see that the previous post was accepted awhile back but no response yet to the “device file” I attached as requested. Please review.

In the device toolbar, try setting “host” to “WASAPI”,
then the input device to: “Line (2- ZEDi10)
then the number of recording channels to: 4

If you are using the ZEDi10 as the playback device, then you probably need to set the playback device as “ZEDi-10 ST2 (2- ZEDi10)”. Other output device settings may work.