Can't seem to duplicate tapes

Hi everyone.

Several years ago I used Audacity to copy a few cassette tapes and didn’t have any problems. I’ve had to set my computer back to factory settings and start all over again and now I’m wanting to copy some tapes and can’t get it to work.

I’m running Windows 7. I have a cassette player hooked to the computer with the cord with the little green and pink jacks on each end. It’s the same player and same cords I used last time. And yes I have the colors matched up properly and the cassette player is plugged in and working. I’ve tried every combination of microphone and speakers but when I push play on the tape player and record on Audacity I just get a long flat line. I’ve tried both MME and Windows WASAPI for the interface. There’s also Windows DirectSound but I’m not sure what that is.

My choices for microphone are Sound Mapper, Microphone, Stereo Mix and Line-In. My choices for speakers are sound mapper, speakers/headphones, digital output and communications headphones.

I recorded some YouTube music and didn’t have any problem with that but copying cassettes just isn’t wanting to work. Any suggestions?

Sorry I missed the part about the version. It’s 2.2.0 I just downloaded it a couple of weeks ago

My choices for microphone are Sound Mapper, Microphone, Stereo Mix and Line-In.

Choose Line-in, which is s usually [u]color coded blue[/u]. You do have a desktop or tower computer with a regular soundcard, right? (Most laptop computers don’t have line-in.)

I’ve tried both MME and Windows WASAPI for the interface. There’s also Windows DirectSound but I’m not sure what that is.

Any of those should work. WASAPI is the newest standard, MME is the oldest.

I have a cassette player hooked to the computer with the cord with the little green and pink jacks on each end.

That’s a portable cassette player and you’re connected to the headphone output? If so, you just need a cable [u]like this[/u] with one plug on each end. It won’t hurt if you have blue & pink plugs on each end, but you only have to use one set of connectors.

Do you have a pair of headphones to make sure you’ve got a signal coming-out of the cassette player?

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I’m using a desk top. It has six lines in the back (one has the monitor sound cord plugged in) and the pink and green lines (headphone and microphone) in the front.

It’s got to be a cord problem. I’ve tried just one plug (one in the headphone jack in the tape player and the microphone jack in the computer). I know the headphone jack on the tape player is working, we tested that out. This was a breeze when I did it a few years ago. I’ll ask my husband if he has a cord I can try.

I got it. I plugged it into the little blue circle in the back. Thanks for replying and getting me to thinking. I appreciate it.