Problem exporting WAV on audacity 2.2.0 - Windows10

Hey guys, how are you?
I am very new to audacity, but i consider myself a regular user of windows.

I have severall wav files. I need them to be MONO/16bits/44100Hz.

When i open each wav file on audacity i go to format and i choose “16BIT PCM”.
After, i go to export as wav and i choose “WAV signed 16Bit PCM” … it exports everything ok.

However if i open the exported file on Audacity on the file info says: 32-Bit Float :\

What am i doing wrong mates?

THANKS !!

Audacity works internally with 32-bit float format, as that provides the best quality. Consequently, (by default), Audacity converts imported files to 32-bit float format. This is a good thing as it allows higher quality processing and protects against permanent clipping damage. This behaviour can be changed in Audacity Preferences, but doing so is not recommended.

To check what format a file really is, I think that you can right click on the file and look at the file “Properties” (I rarely use Windows, but I think that’s right).

Hello Steve! Thank you so much for your reply.
The thing is, i have to upload/submit this files to the client in that format (16bits).

i followed what you’ve said, i changed the preferences to 16bits and now when i open the exported file again in audacity it says 16bits

THANKS STEVE, YOU’RE THE MAN.

i followed what you’ve said, i changed the preferences to 16bits and now when i open the exported file again in audacity it says 16bits

Just to clarify - It’s OK (actually preferred) if it says 32-bit “in Audacity”.

Audacity’s preferences don’t tell you the imported (or exported) format, just how it’s working internally. (Except it will default to the sample rate of the imported file.)

When you export to 16-bits you can trust it’s doing that. (Or there are applications such as MediaInfo that can check the format).

but unfortunately you appear to have missed the bit where I wrote:

As DVDdoug wrote, it is unimportant what the track says the sample format is. What’s important is the format that you select when you export.