Exporting tracks to ave the same length as the full song

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Exporting tracks to ave the same length as the full song

Permanent link to this post Posted by jste » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I have looked everywhere for this answer and can't seem to find it nor find it our myself. I am working on an audio project where some tracks' audios do not have the same length as the whole song but only start after a minute or so. However, I need to export them to have the same length as the full song and not only the length of its own audio (so basically - one minute of silence - audio - silence until the song ends) - how can I do this?

Hope somebody can help me! Thanks in advance :)
jste

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Exporting tracks to ave the same length as the full song

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 pm

When exporting a track, Audacity exports from the start of the first audio clip in the track to the end of the final audio clip in the track. Any empty spaces between these points is filled with silence. Empty space before the first audio clip in the track is not filled with silence.

If you need to export a track that starts after the start of the project (there is empty space before the first audio clip), and you want to include that empty space in the exported file, select a few seconds at the start of the track (doesn't matter how much, just select some of that empty space, starting from time=0), then "Generate menu > Silence" to replace the selected empty space with silence. The track can now be exported including the silence at the start.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Windows