Snap, Crackle and Pop

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Snap, Crackle and Pop

Permanent link to this post Posted by SoundCard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:31 am

Right after the latest Windows 10 update, my Audacity (latest version) started adding a lot of crackling into my waveforms. I record in Reaper and do a few adjustments in Audacity, because they do them better. The sharp popping and crackles are not always in the same places and a change in the interface host, buffers, etc. makes no difference. Really annoying.
Anyone else have this? Is it a coincidence that it happened right after a Win 10 update?

Any ideas?

[Advert removed]
SoundCard

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Snap, Crackle and Pop

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 pm

This is "just" a playback problem, right? Exported files are OK?

I don't know how to fix it, but it sounds like buffer underrun related to multitasking... Some application/process/driver is hogging the CPU for a few too many milliseconds and the buffer doesn't get refilled in time. If you're using ASIO with REAPER it has different buffers and it may have higher priority, etc.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows