uneven recording level plus hum

hi
I’m on the latest version of audacity…i have no music out of the left speaker only hum…i have sound out of the right speaker.i tried to clean the contacs on the tonearm where the cartridge is and the contacts on the tonearm…no difference…
I checked the line between the gnd on the amp or receiver and the bottom of the turntable…all secure what else can I try?im working with the windows 10 64 bits operating system…

lenny

Please tell us a little more about your setup. Do you have a USB turntable? Some kind of stereo with line-out (or tape-out)? Is the hum coming from your computer speakers or your stereo speakers? If you have an analog connection to your soundcard, do you have a regular desktop/tower with a soundcard and line-in?

If there are left/right RCA plugs anywhere in your setup, you can swap the left & right to determine if the problem is before or after the RCA plugs. If there are multiple RCA connections you can swap left/right multiple places to narrow-down the problem.

Hum in one side does sound like a broken ground. Usually, that would be something related to the tonearm/cartridge because the left & right grounds usually get connected together somewhere (at the turntable output or at the preamp input) so you can usually get-by with only one ground connection. But, the grounds to the cartridge and coming out of the tonearm (inside the turntable) are separate. (The cartridge won’t work with only 3 connections.)

hi
I managed to correct the issue…the cartridge wasn’t connecting to the contacts on the tone arn…so I used alcohol
on a q tip and now its good…thanks anyway…

lenny