mic mutes by itself

I’m using 2.2.0 on a HP laptop with Windows 10. I’m using a Blue Snowball mic and after recording for a couple of minutes the mic goes to mute. I went to “recording devices” picked Blue Snowball, went to levels and unclicked mute and went back to recording but after a couple of minutes it mutes itself again.

Maybe Windows [u]“Enhancements”[/u]?

I went to “recording devices” picked Blue Snowball, went to levels and unclicked mute

We’re in Widows now? The Audacity setting is Preferences > Devices > Recording.

There’s an actual setting on the panel that seems to change itself? I don’t know any Audacity action that could cause that. There is Audacity Sound Activated Recording, which can cause a recording to halt, but that comes back to life by itself when sound is presented or rises to the trigger volume.

What else is running on your machine? Skype is famous for managing sound services by itself and it doesn’t much matter what you want. Any other Chat or Conferencing APPs. Games?

after a couple of minutes it mutes itself again.

Let me project:

“It mutes when my ratty USB connection cuts out briefly and then only half-way returns when the USB comes back to life.”

Are you going through a USB splitter, hub or USB manager? If you are, stop doing that. USB audio equipment must have perfect, not-shared connection to the computer. I have a full-size, separate keyboard with a convenient USB extension on the side. That doesn’t count, either.

Change the USB cable and/or the USB socket.

Koz