Recording slows, almost pauses, generates "honk"

My first post. Please be kind.
Windows10
Audacity 2.2.0

There are several similar topics on the forum. I have studied each. None exactly mirrors my problem. None of the solutions has helped. I’m posting this and crossing my fingers.

I am recording live. I generate a rhythm track. I press play to check the rhythm track. It plays fine. I press Shift+R. A new track appears and recording begins. Now, the rhythm of the rhythm thack is inconsistent. There will be hesitations betweeen every third or fourth “beat.”

I include three attachments:
Screen Shot - Recording Preferences
Screen Shot - System Characteristics
Recording Sample (m4a) - The irregularities
Screen Shot Rec Prefs.jpg
Screen Shot System.jpg

Make sure you’re not running any other applications and try to minimize the number of things your computer is doing in the background.

…Usually these kinds of problems are related to multitasking, and the Windows is always multitasking even if you’re only running one application.

When you record, audio flows at a smooth-constant rate into a buffer (temporary storage). When the operating system gets around to it, it reads the buffer in a quick burst and writes data to the hard drive. If an application/driver/process hogs the CPU & data bus for a few milliseconds too long, you get buffer overflow and a recording glitch.

There is a also a playback buffer. The playback buffer is written in a quick burst (when the operating system gets around to it) and the audio data flows-out at a smooth-constant rate. If the buffer doesn’t get refilled in time, you get buffer underflow and a playback glitch.

:frowning: It can be difficult to track-down the problem(s). There is a free tool called [u]DPC Latency Checker[/u] that may help and there is a free online book called [u]Glitch Free[/u] about optimizing your computer for audio.