Recording Levels are only good at .01

Hi. I’ve used Audacity on my last PC and it worked well. This is a new install on a little older laptop Dell E6430 with Windows 7 x64. All other hardware is the same such as turntable pre amp. When I record the Record Volume has to be very low. Anything above .02 goes in the red on recording level and the chart goes well above and below the 1.0 and -1.0 area. My last PC would allow the recording volume to be around 70-80. Not .02. I’ve tried MME and Windows Direct Sound. I have it at 44100 and tried both 16 and 32 bit recording. I disabled all other recording devices leaving just the pre amp device. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Nothing seems to work.

As a general rule you can’t plug a phono preamplifier into a laptop Mic-In—pink in this case.

This computer has no stereo sound connection.

I use a Behringer UCA-202 which is a good quality, bi-directional, Stereo USB interface.

This is it being the interface to my analog stereo sound mixer.

Koz

I should mention the output from the pre amp is USB. After looking in to this I didn’t find much except one person saying Windows 7 can do this. My other PC is Windows 10 and it doesn’t do this. I listened to one track as a test and it sounds good so I’ll go with the recording level 1.

I should mention the output from the pre amp is USB.

Yes you should. That’s a different set of conditions.

Some Windows machines automatically assign a “Microphone Boost” (20dB) to a capture performance. That would account for your difference. Consult your Windows settings. Audacity gets its sound from Windows, not the device or the USB connections.

Koz