I received an aup file and cannot open it

My grandson sent me an .aup file and i downloaded it but cannot open it. I have Windows 7. I downloaded Audacity thinking I could open it with Audacity but again to no avail. Can someone help and direct me. Real newbie. Thanks

What’s the error message?

You need a lot more than an aup file - you also need the project’s data folder.

See this page in the audacity Manual: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html

WC

That’s one complete Project.

The AUP file is the instructions for what to do with the stuff in the _DATA folder.

Koz

I assume you don’t need the AUP project? If not, ask him to send you “regular” sound file (such as an MP3 or WAV file).

send you “regular” sound file (such as an MP3 or WAV file).

MP3 for listening, WAV for production or editing.

Koz

the error message is “windows can’t open this file”.

I am using Windows 7.

That sounds like a Windows message rather than an Audacity message.

Do you have the AUP file and the _data folder?
If not, I’ll go with Doug’s suggestion and ask him to send you “regular” sound file (such as an MP3 or WAV file).

Do I need to have the Audacity software/program to open this file? And if so, how do you do this?

To open an AUP (AUdacity Project) file, you need to have both parts of the project - the AUP file and the _data folder. Both must be in the same location on your computer.
You will also require the Audacity application which is available here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

I dont have Audacity this file was sent to me. what do I do to open it? what tools?

what tools?

Projects only open in Audacity.

You will also require the Audacity application which is available here: > Audacity ® | Download for Windows

This whole thing would be a lot easier if you got them to File > Export a WAV (Microsoft) sound file and send you that. There are many ways to mess up an Audacity Project even if you do have all the pieces there. Is there any reason you can’t do that?

Koz

To open an AUP (AUdacity Project) file, you need to have both parts of the project - the AUP file and the _data folder. Both must be in the same location on your computer.
You will also require the Audacity application which is available here: Audacity ® | Download for Windows

Let us know if you have trouble installing the program.

Koz