Recordings via Phone

Using Windows Audacity 2.1.3

I am conducting phone interviews by using a headset that is connected to a “THAT-2” Telephone Headset Audio Tap which is connected to the phone and computer. Sometimes Audacity works fine, other times it doesn’t record any sound, and recently it began picking up small sound waves but I’m unable to click Play for playback. I’ve manipulated the inputs, audio host, recording channels, and playback device.

I realize this description is pretty vague, but I never alter the settings and sometimes Audacity works and sometimes it doesn’t. Any ideas?

What is a sound card?
Maybe it’s a problem

If by phone you mean a landline telephone, I’ve had really good luck with an Olympus TP-7 or TP-8.
Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 08.19.59.png
You jam one of those in your ear and put the telephone handset on top of it.

If you mean a cellphone, that works less well because the phone radio service leaks into the sound.

If you have access to two computers, you can double record—use both.

recently it began picking up small sound waves but I’m unable to click Play for playback.

Spacebar Play doesn’t work, either? That’s odd…

Recording a telephone is not fun. The broadcast people use telephone hybrids at many hundreds of dollars. That’s how they can punch into and out of a call with no problem at all—unless the far side cellphone poops out.

How do you connect the THAT to your computer? It seems to be an audio-only device and most computers don’t do audio connections really well.

Koz