Klanghelm VUMTinstall

Hello, I am trying to install the Klanghelm VUMT VU meter but I am doing something wrong.
I contacted them to show me but the answer is to look at the Audacity third party plug-in installation guide,
so far no success.
Can you help me installing these VU meters.
Windows 10 64

Thank you

Carlos Alvarez

Did they confirm that the plug-in is compatible with Audacity 2.1.3?
Which version of Audacity do you have?
Which version of Klanghelm VUMT VU meter have you installed? (Audacity does not support 64-bit plug-ins. Even on a 64-bit system only 32-bit plug-ins are supported.)

That is here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_windows.html#vst_install

And Audacity only supports VST2, not VST3 …
klanghelm Windows installer.png

That explains it, I installed the 64 bit version of the plug-in.
I will try installing the 32 version and see.
By the way my Audacity version is 2.1.3 64 bit.

Thank you
Carlos Alvarez

I did the 32-bit installation and is working OK now.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Carlos Alvarez

For information; your operating system may be 64-bit, but the only Windows release of Audacity is a 32-bit application. Because Audacity is a 32-bit application, only 32-bit plug-ins are supported.

cgav96,

I don’t know what your plans are for this meter, but a VU meter isn’t appropriate for digital recording. I like the analog look, but the meter has got to show the digital peaks.

The peaks are super-critical because you NEVER want to clip your ADC (or DAC). Otherwise, the levels are not critical at all! Pros often record at -12 to -18dB (with high-quality 24-bit equipment, of course). It is nice to have some kind of meter so you can tell if you loose the signal, or in case something goes wrong but you don’t have to get the levels “just right”.

Then you can normalize or otherwise deal with “loudness” in post-production. And for that you don’t need a real-time meter. The software can scan the file to find/calculate the peak, RMS, EBU R 128, etc. For example, there are strict standards for audio books but nobody is sitting there watching meters while listening to the whole book… The file is scanned.

If you are doing real-time live mixing or broadcast, etc., then you’ll need a peak meter and possibly RMS or EBU R 128, but there’s not much use for the old “analog” standards, like VU. And of course, Audacity isn’t for real-time use. The VU meter was originally an electro-mechanical meter (no active electronics) and was standardized at a time when peak metering would have been expensive and impractical. Plus, peak metering wasn’t that useful with analog tape. Tape soft-clips and it was standard practice to occasionally go “into the red”. (And broadcast stations had limiters, as they do now, so it was also OK for broadcasters to occasionally go into the red.)