Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Permanent link to this post Posted by TrillDill » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm

i just closed a project and when i went to open it it gave me this can you plz help me out thanks
Attachments
Hang It Up.aup
(212.43 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
TrillDill

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 am

This FAQ from the Audacity Manual should hep you: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man ... _at_line_x

Just be aware that this is the alpha Manual for the as-yet unreleased 2.2.0 version of Audacity - so other pages may/will refer to new stuff. The advice on this page however remains good for 2.1.3 and earlier versions too. I restructured the FAQ for the next release to give clearer advice on errors like this one.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Yarn366 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 pm

waxcylinder wrote:This FAQ from the Audacity Manual should hep you: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man ... _at_line_x

This is actually yet another case of Audacity for Windows not saving supplementary characters properly, a bug that is not even mentioned on the page that you linked to. (Audacity for Windows is saving supplementary characters as pairs of escapes representing surrogates (in the form of &#xd[89ab][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];&#xd[c-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];) when it should be saving them either directly or as five- or six-digit escapes.)

Anyway, TrillDill, I've attached a version of your project file that doesn't contain the supplementary character.
Attachments
Hang It Up.aup
(212.32 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Yarn366

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Yarn366 wrote:This is actually yet another case of Audacity for Windows not saving supplementary characters properly, a bug that is not even mentioned on the page that you linked to. (Audacity for Windows is saving supplementary characters as pairs of escapes representing surrogates (in the form of &#xd[89ab][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];&#xd[c-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];) when it should be saving them either directly or as five- or six-digit escapes.)

We do at least have the bug logged now, and (thanks to you Yarn366) we will hopefully not have this bug much longer.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by TrillDill » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:06 am

Yarn366 wrote:
waxcylinder wrote:This FAQ from the Audacity Manual should hep you: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man ... _at_line_x

This is actually yet another case of Audacity for Windows not saving supplementary characters properly, a bug that is not even mentioned on the page that you linked to. (Audacity for Windows is saving supplementary characters as pairs of escapes representing surrogates (in the form of &#xd[89ab][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];&#xd[c-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];) when it should be saving them either directly or as five- or six-digit escapes.)

Anyway, TrillDill, I've attached a version of your project file that doesn't contain the supplementary character.

oh wow thank you so much, i was so troubled on that article i got sent your the best :)
TrillDill

Return to Windows