Unable to record from USB musical instrument

Hi,

Running on Windows 10 Build 1703 x 2 machines
Audacity 2.1.3

I have connected a Yamaha DTX drum kit and this is detected and added to devices without issue.
however as per article: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/usb_recording.html I do not see any additional USB device to record from, only microphones.
I know this worked previously on earlier Windows 10.

Is this a known issue?

thanks.

Is this a known issue?

It’s a known issue that Audacity will only record from one sound device at a time. It’s possible with software such as VoiceMeeter Banana to make multiple devices “look like” a single device or sound channel to Audacity. Did you do something like that?

It’s also possible to use a configuration such as Stereo Mix to make Audacity record from everything playing on the machine. The problem with that is the system sounds get recorded, too. People normally use this for recording YouTube music, etc, but it really is recording everything mounted on the machine.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_audio_playing_on_the_computer.html

Koz

You didn’t give the exact model number, but I assume the USB is for [u]MIDI[/u], not digital audio. Audacity is not a MIDI application.

From the DTX400K user manual:

While the drum module is highly powerful and versatile all
by itself, you can connect it to a computer via USB for even
greater convenience and flexibility. When connected in this
way, > MIDI data can be freely exchanged with the computer,
allowing the drum module to be used as an input device for
music production applications. In this section, you’ll learn
how to make the necessary connections.]

Did the drums come with MIDI software that makes drum sounds through the computer? If so, you can record the sound being generated inside the computer.

Otherwise, you’ll need a Y-splitter for the analog audio output so you can connect your headphones/speakers and your soundcard at the same time. If you have a desktop/tower computer with a regular soundcard, connect to line-in. If you have a loptop with only mic-in and headphone-out, you’ll need USB audio interface with line inputs. (The mic input can “work” but it’s wrong for a headphone/line-level signal and you’ll usually get low-quality mono.)