Audacity not recording - CAD u37

I am using
Windows 10
Audacity version 2.1.3
.exe installer
Microphone: CAD u37

I’m having a problem with getting audacity and/or my USB microphone to record sound.

After recording a test (about 6 minutes), I opened a new audacity screen to re-record. Nothing would record.

https://ibb.co/cBCBda

I have tried:
making sure the microphone is not also my playback option
disabling all other recording devices via Windows control panel
uninstalling and reinstalling audacity
uninstalling the driver for CAD u37

When I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled, it recorded. But after I pressed “stop” and then tried to start a new recording, nothing. Flat line again.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver a second time and recorded without stopping for 6 minutes, I saw it stopped recording after about five minutes.

I have also tried recording with Audacity using my laptop’s built-in speakers, and was unable to record there as well (after adjusting the settings in control panel to re-enable them).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think you figured this out already, but you should get a bouncing sound meter and blue waves while you’re recording.

If you don’t get some action, then you’re not making a recording.

Whatever driver software you have must be designed for Windows 10 and it has to say so. Windows 10 is not a simple upgrade and older drivers may not work right.

Koz

Thank you, kozikowski. That stands to reason. I have successfully used the CAD u37 with Audacity in the past, but it was on Windows XP.

The mic is a plug&play - no software to download or install that isn’t handled automatically by simply plugging it in. Do you have any suggestions on - or can you point me in the right direction to learn - how I could finagle my current mic to work with my new OS and Audacity?

When I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled, it recorded. But after I pressed “stop” and then tried to start a new recording, nothing. Flat line again.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver a second time and recorded without stopping for 6 minutes, I saw it stopped recording after about five minutes.

It is concerning that you have partial service. It never comes back by itself, right? You always have to do something to get service to return.

Audacity does not Play Well With Others. The best recordings are when Audacity does not have to compete with other audio apps such as Skype, Chat, Conference, Games, or other recorders. A recent poster may have had troubles with Audacity conflicting with his screen capture video software.

Close Audacity and see if Windows is OK with the microphone. Right-click the speaker icon and go into the sound settings. I expect the microphone to appear and a bouncing sound meter to work.

Koz

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but the same problem is occurring with me also. :frowning:

Having same problem. After a lot of tries I got the audio meter to move. Now wave pattern on screen and playback was extremely low and distorted. Most tries even with the beta version; nothing works. When I had Win XP all worked great.
Now have Thinkcenter with Win 10. Some one must know the solution.