Cannot access full recording due to orphaned files

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Cannot access full recording due to orphaned files

Permanent link to this post Posted by DerAstrophysiker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello,

I have the following issue; I already tried to read up on how to solve my problem on the German forum, but I couldn't find an answer. So, the issue is the following: We wanted to record a show that lasted for a bit more than 2 hours (we didn't remember to stop the recording so we have another like 45 minutes of just silence in the recording). Did the usual, saved the recording as a project. I took the laptop with me home and copied the data to my USB-stick, then copied the data to my home computer to edit the recording. (First thing to note: The laptop was Linux, the home computer is Windows, the USB-stick is not that large - 260 MB stick for roughly 220 MB of data, although that shouldn't be the issue.) I first had to solve a few issues with loading the ffmpeg library, but this works out now and the library is being loaded. However, both before and after I fixed that issue, I had the following notice in the protocol:

Warning: Orphaned Block-file: "......\e00\d00\e000xxx.au"

And this four times, so I have four orphaned files total. And this makes up the next issue: Of the total 2 and a bit hours of recording, I can only access and edit roughly the first 10 minutes. I then checked if I had the same issue on the Linux system where we actually recorded the show, and yes indeed, that has the same issue. I am a bit clueless right now, so I hope you can help me.

Oh, and I am using Windows 10 and the latest audacity 2.1.3. (I installed that with .exe over my previous 2.0.5, Linux has Audacity 2.0.5, fresh install.)

Greetings, looking forward to your answer!
DerAstrophysiker

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Cannot access full recording due to orphaned files

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 am

I couldn't think what sounded off about that.
roughly 220 MB of data

A two hour, forty five minute stereo project comes in at about 1.8GB. Not 220MB. Roughly half that for mono, so 900MB. Where did you get 220MB from?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Windows