Help! Can't Record on Audacity with Conexant SmartAudio

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Help! Can't Record on Audacity with Conexant SmartAudio

Permanent link to this post Posted by LibertyLass » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Help! I am unable to record on Audacity, version 2.1.3, downloaded via an .exe installer. When I press the record button there is just a flat line. I had no problem on my old laptop, but it just won’t work on my new one, (Lenovo Ideapad 310). I believe that the difference is my new laptop is running on Windows 10. In Audacity there is no stereo mix, only Conexant SmartAudio. I have found many other people who are having the same issue, but I have yet to find anyone who has a solution!

I was told that I needed to enable stereo mix in Audacity, so I downloaded Realtek high definition audio, but I can’t get it to work. I downloaded updated drivers, but that was a bust. I have made sure that my “show disabled devices” in control panel > sound is checked. When I go into my laptop’s Sound > Recording Devices, Realtek doesn’t even show up. I have tried deleting and reinstalling both Realtek and the drivers. I have tried playing around with the buttons in Audacity under edit > preferences >devices > playback, recording and interface. I have made sure that the volume is cranked.

If someone has a solution, please let me know. If you know of a free program similar to Audacity, could you please let me know. I upload videos to YouTube, and I need a program to record myself talking. Please note: as you can probably tell from my post, I have very limited technical knowledge of computers, so please respond as if you are teaching a 6-year-old algebra! Thanks! :D
LibertyLass

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Help! Can't Record on Audacity with Conexant SmartAudio

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:40 pm

I upload videos to YouTube, and I need a program to record myself talking.
In that case, select your microphone as your Recording Device, not Stereo Mix.

If you want to record what's coming out of your soundcard (like Stereo Mix) with Win10, use WASAPI looback.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows