Error while opening sound device. Please check the playback

Error while opening sound device. Please check the playback settings and the project sample rate

Audacity 2.1.2
HP Notebook Windows 10
Memory = 6 Gb Usable = 4.95 Gb
System type = 64 bit Operating System

Device Tool Bar Info
Audio host = Windows WASAPI
Microphone = Realtek High Definition Audio Recording Channels = 2 Stereo
Playback Device = Realtek High Definition Audio

Project Rate Hz = 41000

Successfully using the Audacity application this morning. Then got the above Error Message.
I have tried some of the fixes i.e. selecting different setting for audio hosts etc. to no avail.
Also, no audio from outside of Audacity i.e. YouTube,

I’m grateful for help to have this resolved. Thank you
Regards, Chris

Hi Everyone

I have resorted to closing down all applications, including Audacity and iTunes, ready to reboot my laptop.
In saving a MS-Word doc, as the last app to close, I got a “file already exists” error message and the speakers suddenly worked - “Ding”. Great news.
Re-opened Audacity and all sound features has been restored.

I’m not a MS guru, but I’m guessing there was a sharing clash between Audacity and iTunes.

Thank you to those that have read this post
Regards, Chris

I’m guessing there was a sharing clash between Audacity and iTunes.

We warn people constantly that Audacity does not play well with others. Close down all other apps that have anything to do with sound: Chat, Games, Players, Conferencing, Burners, etc. Particularly Skype. There is a bloody fist-fight when they both try for exclusive access to the sound devices.

Also, being on Win10, Shutdown doesn’t shut everything down. To get a cold shutdown, hold Shift while you shut down. It will take longer, but it will be more of a fresh start.

Until further notice, Audacity always runs at 32-bit, no matter how powerful the machine is. I think it’s stuck at single processor, too, so all those extra processors are loafing while you edit your music.

Koz