Two kinds of tooltips

Windows 7 64-bit - Audacity 2.2.0-beta-Sep 1 2017 - .exe-installer - Windows classic theme

Hovering the cursor on the slider for volume and balance gives a tooltip that is different from the other tooltips.
Its more big, bigger font, rounded cornes, not clear graphics.

Perhaps its diffent because the tooltip needs to stay in the same place when you pull the slider to keep seening the tooltip.

Anyway is it possible to make the tooltip for the sliders so they look the same as the rest?
tooltip.gif
tooltip.png

I think it’s because the non-squared corner type of tooltip is different in that it carries parameterizable arguments and is this handled by different code,

I logged a bug about the appearance last year - but, so far, no-one has done anything about it:
http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1433

Peter

It’s much worse on Linux. The tooltip is collapsed down to a black horizontal line, and it’s the same on the track Gain and Pan controls.
tooltip.png

I just testing in VirtualBox with Manjaro Xfce and there i see the tooltips on sliders fine.
So maybe you can tell what distribution and desktop environment you are using.
It seems your font size is very big in the top of the image so maybe its a font issue. Like maybe the font does not exists. But im just guessing.

I’m using Xubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xfce Desktop).
The font size is large because I have a fairly high dpi monitor, but Audacity isn’t dpi aware, so the font scales but the rest of the interface doesn’t.
Changing the font size and/or dpi make no difference to this problem.

Audacity 2.1.2 from VirtualBox with xubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
xubuntu_slider.png

Yes, they work fine with Audacity 2.1.2. It’s a regression.

A minor issue, but is this something that is being looked at for a future release? I have Audacity 2.2.2 running in a Singularity image (Docker for HPC) and I am also running into this issue. I personally rely heavily on tooltips while learning a tool so a fix would be great!

Cheers,
Mike

I suspect that it won’t get fixed.

We are a very small volunteer team and desperately short of developers (with more pressing things to fix) - sorry

WC