Record internal only, not external microphone too?

I am running Windows 10 Audacity 2.1.0. I am attempting to record audio from the Duolingo application. This works, but it also records at the same time from my laptop’s external microphone. This results in me having to emulate Elmer Fudd and being vewy, vewy quiet while recording.

Is it possible to disable that external input (without going to the Volume icon and disabling there)?

Thank you.

I think we only got part of the story.

List the things you want to record:

Koz

I have the very same question … I want to record some songs from an old ‘Soundclick’ page but cannot see how I can do this without also recording from the microphone as I play the file …Any help regarding a solution would be very welcome. NB: I’m not very techy at all so simplicity would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Mobeus

I am using Ver 2.1.3 on Windows 10 Pro machines.
You might try the following-
On the Device Line, After changing MME to WASAPI, Click on the Microphone Drop down Menu and select an output device other than a microphone i.e., Speaker… I have had success doing this. It might take a couple of tries to find one that will work depending on what devices you have installed. On my laptop the first selection worked on a desktop it took several selections to find the right one.
In the end the background noise (i.e.,TV noise) was eliminated and I was able to record while watching TV.
Post if this helps you.