Playback delay

When I click on the play button there is a delay of 15 to 20 seconds before the track starts playing. Every time I highlight a section and play it back the first pass is delayed but repeat plays start right away. Thanks for any help. Windows 7 64 sp1 Audacity 2.1.3

Are you trying to play a huge recording that is many hours long?
Are you using an ancient or critically underpowered computer?

The recordings are anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. My Audacity software is the latest version and is on an HP ProBook 6560b and a Core i5 processor with 8 Gig of RAM. I am working on VO files and it is frustrating to have to have that delay every time I make a change to the file.

Is that a release version, debug version, alpha version, DA version, some other “latest” version?
Look in “Help > About Audacity” for the actual version number. What does it say?

If you look in my original post it has the specifics that were requested in order to post. 2.3.1

requested in order to post. 2.3.1

Or 2.1.3.

Find and open Windows Task Manager. (I don’t know either. I found it through a Windows Search.)

Press Audacity Play and see what your machine is doing that’s more important than what you’re doing.

Koz

My guess is that a “security product” (possibly an anti-virus program) is scanning the audio data before allowing Audacity to play it. That would explain why the problem occurs once on the “first pass”, but then not on repeated plays. What security products are running on your computer?

Security product: System Mechanic by Iolo.

System Mechanic by Iolo.

Does System Mechanic task go crazy in Task Manager when you press Play in Audacity?

You might be able to do this backwards. Disconnect the network from your machine, disable System Mechanic and see if the problem goes away.

Koz

No anti-virus protection?