Using external microphone jack ASUS N551V laptop for input

I want to digitise my remaining audiotapes . I can do this on another machine but it occasionally makes odd noises therefore I would like to use this machine , an Asus N551V . There is jack which accomodates the external speaker . According to the manual you can attach a headset here ie an external microphone . I note the installation instructions for Audacity suggest not using this route for signal input however there is no other jack socket . With a 3 pole to 4 pole adapter can I record this way ? If so what settings do I need on the machine and in Audacity .TIA Daubie17

If it has a combo hack, yes. You need an adapter like [u]this[/u] (or a mic or headset with a matching 4-conductor TRRS plug).

If so what settings do I need on the machine and in Audacity?

Just select the external mic as your [u]Recording Device[/u].

I note the installation instructions for Audacity suggest not using this route for signal input however there is no other jack socket

I’m not sure what you’re reading, but with the adapter It IS the correct connection for a “computer mic”. But, for better quality recording you can use a USB “podcast mic” or a studio/stage mic and a USB audio interface with a “proper” XLR connector an a decent preamp.

Thanks DVDdoug. Mea culpa. Thanks to ASUS I made an interesting discovery. There is it seems a head phone socket. It is next to the USB port I use for my mouse and despite reading the manual and careful examination I missed it. The socket I was trying to use was for the sub woofer :blush: . So as you suggest it does work really when I use the headphone socket as intended! Onward and upward [ well perhaps sideways at least ].