Problems with overdub with Behringer UMC202HD

Using HP Spectre laptop with Windows 10. Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD USB audio interface with the Behringer driver (v 3.29.0). Audacity version 2.1.3 installed from the .exe.

I am having difficulty recording in overdub mode with the above USB audio interface. Setup 1 below describes the problem I am having.

Setup 1 (preferred setup): Recording Device: “Line (Behringer UMC202HD)”; Recording Channels: “1 (Mono)”; Playback Device: “Speakers (Behringer UMC202HD)”; Preferences->Recording->Overdub box is checked.

• I have no problems recording my first track. I click record, I see the track being created with the red line scrolling across the new track as I start recording.
  • I have no problems playing back that track. I click the play button and I heard the track being played through the headphones plugged into the USB interface.
  • If I click “Record” again, a new track entry is created in the window, the status bar says “Recording”, but the red line does not travel across the screen and the new audio is not recorded and the previous audio is not played back through the audio interface. When I eventually hit stop, I get an error saying “Latency Correction settings has caused the recorded audio to be hidden before zero…” After clicking ok, the new track entry is there, but there is no audio recorded.

Setup 2: Recording Device: “Line (Behringer UMC202HD)”; Recording Channels: “1 (Mono)”; Playback Device: “Speaker/Headphone (Realtek Headphone…)”; Preferences->Recording->Overdub box is checked.

• I have no problems recording my first track. I click record, I see the track being created with the red line scrolling across the new track as I start recording.
  • Playing back the track, now the sound comes out the laptop speakers, as expected based on the selection (though I would prefer the sound to come out the USB interface)
  • If I click Record again, I am able to record a second track through the USB interface while listening to the track through the laptop speakers.

Setup 3: Recording Device: "“Line (Behringer UMC202HD)”; Recording Channels: “1 (Mono)”; Playback Device: “Speakers (Behringer UMC202HD)”; Preferences->Recording->Overdub box is unchecked.

• I have no problems playing back that track. I click the play button and I heard the track being played through the headphones plugged into the USB interface.
  • If I click Record again, I am able to record a second track through the USB interface, but I do not hear the previously recorded track (as expected because of settings)

Does anyone know if I can record and playback at the same time with this USB device? I would rather not have to take the computer headphone output and the audio interface output and put them through a second mixer/headphone amp if I don’t have to.

I do expect that to work, but one thing leaps out at me. Unlike the UM2, the 202 is naturally a stereo device, not mono. What happens if you set up for stereo?

Nasty things can happen when you cross those by accident.

I can try experiments with my units when it gets to be daytime here.

What’s the microphone?

Koz

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried it in stereo mode and have the same problems. Using a guitar as an input.

Thanks for the detailed report. That’s enormously useful.

You’re right. Generally, if you can plain record and play, Overdubbing should be a piece of cake. Nothing leaps out immediately why it should fail.

On a stretch, if you don’t apply the driver, I would expect the Behringer to mount as a plain, bi-directional stereo interface. Did the driver explicitly claim Windows 10 support?

Koz

Win10 is not a simple upgrade. It’s a whole new OS and drivers need to be designed for it. You may be better served without the driver if it doesn’t know about Win10.

Koz

The driver says it is for Windows 10. It is titled “UMC Driver 3.29.0 for Windows 7 to 10” and the instructions say to use this driver for Windows 10.

From what I have read, this device is plug-and-play on Mac, but requires the UMC drivers to work on windows. But, just to make sure, I uninstalled the drivers and the device, plugged it back in. Windows “recognized” it as an audio device, but it did not work. Would not play audio, would not record audio. I reinstalled the UMC Driver and I’m right back to where I was originally.

Maybe I can explain that one. The 202 claims nose-bleeding high technical specifications: 24-bit, 192KHz sampling rate, etc. I suspect strongly you only get those qualities with the driver.

Sometime this afternoon (Pacific time) I’ll crank up the Win7 machine and see what happens when I try to mount the Behringer devices I have. Hopefully before then, one of the Windows elves will pop up and solve this.

Koz

Maybe there’s another possibility. The HP Spectre laptop’s claim to fame is it’s light weight and extreme portability. It’s half-tablet and half laptop.

We know that overdubbing requires the machine to Record and Play at the exact same time and perfectly correctly. That’s one obvious different between Overdubbing and the simple sound services such as Record and Play. I wonder if the machine can’t handle both of those services at the USB port at the same time.

One of the ways of getting a stuck cursor is make Audacity expect to receive a correct data connection and then either damage the connection or fail to start it at all.

Koz

What is your latency setting?
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 12.25.51.png
Koz

Audio to Buffer: 100
Latency correction: -130

I think these were defaults when I installed audacity? When I do overdub (using the laptop speakers), the latency correction seems to be fairly close. The recording is shifted back and nearly perfectly lines up with what I am playing with. I haven’t done a latency test with a microphone yet.

As far as I know, the only shortcoming to listening to the machine sound is the inability to hear yourself live in the mix. Your own performance is always going to have “one computer’s” worth of echo or delay. That’s machine latency and you can’t easily stop it.

Nobody wrote you have to set recording latency either. That’s a convenience. You can play to your rhythm or backing track (without hearing yourself) and just go in later with the Time Shift Tool and push the tracks sooner and later until they musically line up. Repeat with the violin, sax, dobro, trumpets, etc.

I wrote the original overdubbing tutorial and I have a thing I called “Perfect Overdubbing.” That’s the goal. You crawl into your top quality sealed headphones plugged into your Zero Latency Monitoring device and hear a perfect, rhythmic, theatrically correct mix of yourself and the backing track.

That’s what yours should be doing. Why it’s not is a crazy mystery.

Koz

See, I’m not making this up. That’s my Mac in the back garden setting up for overdubbing with a Behringer UM2, earbuds and a ratty AKG PA system microphone.
OverdubbingSyncSetup.jpg
The timeline picture is the first pass with the worse recording latency error (-0.262 seconds, scroll down).

The sound clip is after a second pass at correction where the lineup is very nearly perfect. (extra -0.01 seconds). I’m listening to both halves of the dub session. I can hear my fingers rubbing on the microphone as I hold up the earbud during the recording. That’s my “performance.”

Let’s see what the Windows people think about this. I’m out. I’ve never heard of a Windows machine doing this.

Koz

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 18.18.18.png

If a forum elf can’t help, the desperation method, this being a forum and not a help desk, is to wait for someone else to come along with a HP Spectre laptop with Windows 10 and Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD USB audio interface.

Koz

Hey. Thanks for looking into this and spending the time. I’ll see if I can find another windows 10 machine I can try this in to make sure it’s not a driver/hardware issue.

I actually think I might send this unit back and try a 204 version. The fact that direct monitoring on this audio interface only comes out one ear drives me bat sh-t crazy. The 204 has a direct monitor mono button that would solve that problem. It also claims to have 4 outs. Maybe it will solve my problems. :confused:

You need basic overdubbing to work to set Recording Latency.

Koz

Hi, I’ve been having the exact same problem ad finally found the solution :
Open the control panel
Choose “Hardware and Sound”
Choose “Sound”
Choose the “Playback” tab
Select your playback device and click on “Properties”
Select the “Advanced” tab
In the list select a sample rate “16 bits 4800kHz”
Click “OK”
Choose the “Recording” tab and follow the same procedure to change the sample rate for your recording device

And there it is, it know works perfectly for me !