sound file exported no sound

After I record tracks, I can see the waveform and hear it in the audacity project file, but when I export it, the outcome sound file is mute. I’m using windows 10, when I sent the project file to my friend who’s using a mac, she was able to export an mp3 file with sound. BTW, I tried exporting it as mp3 and wav, both doesn’t have sound. So I suppose the software needs additional package for pc users?

…WAV files are pretty foolproof, as are MP3s if you don’t get an error. If you’re seeing a waveform in Audacity you’re probably getting a good file, but you just can’t play it for some reason.

Is it only files you made with Audacity, or does it also happen with existing known-good audio files?

Does it “seem like” the file is playing silently, or does it just fail to play? Any error messages?

What happens if you try to play it in Audacity before exporting?

Do you have a USB audio device plugged into your computer (like a USB turntable or USB tape player, etc.)? (Sometimes Windows switches to the “new” audio device for playback, even if that device is for input/recording only and can’t play-back.)

Is it only happening when you open the file in Audacity and play it from there, or does it also happen when you play the file in Windows Media Player (or whatever you normally use)?

Have you tried copying one of the suspect files to the Mac?

Exporting in WAV format is possible without any addons.
Exporting as MP3 requires that you install something called LAME encoder into Audacity.

There is a way to get that kind of magic. If you have a stereo file with the left and right blue waves exactly out of step with each other, it may sound a little wacky, but files like that make it through quite a bit of quality control and nobody catches it.

Until you play it in a mono sound system (one speaker) or mixdown to mono. Then the sound drops dead.
Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 7.47.56 PM.png
If you magnify the blue waves enough, it’s pretty obvious. The up and down rhythm of the waves is backwards. If you play it in a stereo system, it comes back to life.

There are microphone adapters that can produce an error like that. What are you recording and how?

Koz

Problem solved! I plugged in a mic on my pc and my pc switched to it for playback.
Thanks!

I had the same problem and spent all this evening investigating my computer and figured out my personal issue… maybe my solution will help.
With Windows 10 there is an audio setting for “mono audio”. Mine was automatically turned “off”. I had recorded in mono. When I figured out the setting option was available and elected to “Turn mono audio on” suddenly the audio played in Windows Media Player!

If you send files to others and they don’t play in Windows Media, they may also want to confirm that the mono setting is on… or just record in stereo.

Sounds like your recordings are dual-mono, but in anti-phase so are cancelling each other out …

Deleting one of the dual-mono tracks solves the problem, (and reduces file size).

In my case the problem turned out to be the playback settings under the Audio control panel. When I plugged in my USB turntable it became the playback device as well as the recording device. I had to set the playback device back to my speakers to hear the track. I had recorded just fine, and I suppose was “playing back” just fine as well. It was just that it was “playing back” through my turntable.