Set Up for Recording Cassettes FAILED

I have gone with the set up to play cassettes I received from EZCAP. I followed directions for the Windows 7 settings based on the HELP pages under “devices” on toolbar with PLAYBACK is Speakers/Headphone and RECORDING as Microphone array (IDT High Def) and 2 channels. BUT I am trying to record a cassette because when I play it the recording is all static, so frustrating. I tried different cassettes but it is not working. What am I doing wrong? I am not a techy person so reading the other trouble shooting tutorials is like reading Greek! So can someone help me and put in set by set process to fix this issue.
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Recording device selected has to be the EZCAP USB device to record the cassettes.
If that device is not appearing as an option, try closing then restarting Audacity with the USB device plugged in.
If that doesn’t work have a look in Windows recording devices to ensure the EZCAP USB device is connected and enabled …

Note that your computer may have to automatically download driver-software via the internet when you plugin the USB device for the first time, (“driver” is the software is necessary for Windows to use the device), so you’ll need to be connected to the internet for that download to be possible, (the driver-download is a one-time thing).

I did what was suggested in the reply but on my WINDOWS 7 for the EZCAP device, I opened the devices/printers on my computer and under the “Playback” the CD AUDIO (like in the photo example) does not appear at all. I am not understanding about this “Note that your computer may have to automatically download driver-software via the internet when you plugin the USB device for the first time, (“driver” is the software is necessary for Windows to use the device), so you’ll need to be connected to the internet for that download to be possible, (the driver-download is a one-time thing).” What driver download? where do I get this? is there a link for it? Really unclear what this means…Your dealing with a novice, sorry :wink:

You need to open the Sounds Control Panel.
Right-click over the Speaker icon by the system clock and select “Recording Devices”.

I opened the sound icon next to the clock and opened the “recording devices”. It opened and I right clicked on “REC PLAYBACK” and then clicked on the 2 checkmarked from the instructions “Show Disabled Devices” and “Showed Disconnected Devices” like in the photo you sent. My EZCAP was already plugged in with a cassette inside to test and I opened the Audacity desktop icon. I hit the red button and again static is all I heard. I would like to send you a photo of my settings but this forum wont allow it. I am at an entire loss to fix this to work. I was so excited but nothing is working correctly. HELP PLEASE!!! :question: :exclamation:

So you have identified which device in the control panel is the EZCAP?

When you play a cassette in the EZCAP, you should see in the recording tab of the control panel, green meters moving with the music. Do you see that? (Audacity does not need to be running for this test - we’re just testing that the computer sound system is picking up the EZCAP).

If it’s required, the driver-download will happen automatically, you don’t have to do anything, except ensure you are connected to the internet when you first plugin a new USB device.

Apparently the video-capture version EZCAP looks like this in recording devices: “USB Audio Device”

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?p=161493&sid=305bd948811c6abcb46b2077b767d599#p161493

That’s the kind of thing you’re looking for in Windows recording devices.

Regarding the photo example you sent under “recording” it does NOT have the “Line” icon at all. (or any photo with the 2 plugs like it) It cant then identify the EZCAP??..under same “Recording”, my Windows 7 shows only “dock Mic”, “Jack Mic”, "Microphone Array, and “Rec. Playback” (which I thought was the EZCAP/Audacity)
When playing a cassette I don’t see any green meters working in the “Recording” area. It seems as though the computer doesn’t recognize the EZCAP??
I appreciate your feedback, now what do I do??

Did you post a reply?? Since my last post here at 9:04 am, I don’t see it here but I got an email the someone responded but don’t see a reply

The EZCAP device will have “USB” in the name when it appears in recording devices.

Maybe the EZCAP device came with a CD containing the driver-software to enable Windows to recognize the device ?, e.g. …

If so you have may have to install the software on that CD before Windows can use the device.

I did download the software in the EZCAP box like in the photo, followed all the instructions as far as I could, without anything working on Windows 7. The Audacity icon appears on my desktop. I have completed all the steps in the instruction PLUS what you told me to do but I DO NOT see the “Recording” icon “Line” with the 2 plugs at all. The “Recording” in the sound control does not show that it is present It is like it does not recognize the device. I do see under “Devices and Printers” that I have USB PnP Audio Device plugged in. I don’t understand this, I have done it all…

That’s OK : many computers don’t have “line-in” recording device.
The only device you need will have “USB” in the name, ignore any other ones.

That sounds like what you’re looking for, but if it doesn’t appear in Windows recording devices, Audacity can’t record from it.

Windows-7 comes with with sound recording software (as a simpler alternative to Audacity), http://www.digitalcitizen.life/record-audio-sound-recorder-windows-7
But again if it can’t see a audio recording device it can’t record from it.

If the driver-software is for Windows XP only, (i.e. “Windows 7”/“Win7” not mentioned on the CD), then you have to install the driver in “Windows compatibility mode” for “Windows XP”… https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10436/using-program-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7/ .

This could be a problem with the ezcap itself or a bad USB cable.

Do you have another USB cable to try?

Do you have access to another computer? If you can try another computer, you can do a quick-check by just plugging-in the USB, right-clicking the speaker icon, and checking the recording tab. (You shouldn’t need to install Audacity or any drivers for this check… Just plug it in and check if Windows sees it.)

If you see “USB… something”, but you’re not seeing that on your computer, there’s something wrong with your computer (maybe a driver or a bad USB port, or something).

If you don’t see “USB…something” on either computer, it’s most-likely a problem with the ezcap or the USB cable.

It’s probably not a driver problem… The ezcap website says:

• Plug and play operation-no drivers required

All USB devices use drivers but most of these “cheap” USB audio devices use the standard Microsoft-supplied drivers, so it shouldn’t be a driver problem, but there is a chance that the Microsoft-supplied drivers on your computer are messed-up.

I do see under “Devices and Printers” that I have USB PnP Audio Device plugged in

Right-click that and select Properties. You may see a message that says “This device is working properly”, or you might see a message that something is wrong.

Thank you for all your help. The EZCap is working as I tried a different usb connection.
Finally after using your advice, thanks for time and effort:)