leveling tracks

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

leveling tracks

Permanent link to this post Posted by bigdaddydiamonddave » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 pm

I have searched for help on this topic but have not found what I am looking for. If I have missed something that is already explained, please forgive me. I am a stroke victim and it is sometimes difficult for me to parse out information from a knowledge database such as this. In any event, I am using Windows 10 home version and Audacity 2.0.6. I am not certain, but I believe the .exe installer was used.

My issue involves getting multiple tracks to have comparable levels. I am recording into my computer via cables that have USB connectors on one end and either 1/4" or XLR connectors on the other end. I am recording vocals and percussion with external professional grade mics and instruments including guitars and keyboards directly from their output jacks.

Despite my attempts to adjust the recording levels at the various input points, I am experiencing varied recording levels and need to solve the problem with the most easily workable solution. I have experimented with several of the available tools, with varied success.

Please advise,

Dave Anderson
bigdaddydiamonddave

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: leveling tracks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:10 am

bigdaddydiamonddave wrote:My issue involves getting multiple tracks to have comparable levels ...
I am experiencing varied recording levels and need to solve the problem with the most easily workable solution.

Audacity's envelope tool allows you to manually control how you want the volume of a track to change over time ...

Dynamic-Range-Compression will automatically reduce volume-variation within a track.

Percussion is a special-case : a limiter is required rather than a compressor, as standard compressors are not fast-acting enough to attenuate brief percussion sounds, such as claps ...

Audacity (soft) Limiter used to reduce loud claps, (no ''Make-Up Gain'').gif
Click on this animation to see it in its entirety
Audacity (soft) Limiter used to reduce loud claps, (no ''Make-Up Gain'').gif (133.34 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: leveling tracks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Audacity 2.0.6 is rather old. The current 2.1.3 version is available here: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Windows