leveling tracks

I have searched for help on this topic but have not found what I am looking for. If I have missed something that is already explained, please forgive me. I am a stroke victim and it is sometimes difficult for me to parse out information from a knowledge database such as this. In any event, I am using Windows 10 home version and Audacity 2.0.6. I am not certain, but I believe the .exe installer was used.

My issue involves getting multiple tracks to have comparable levels. I am recording into my computer via cables that have USB connectors on one end and either 1/4" or XLR connectors on the other end. I am recording vocals and percussion with external professional grade mics and instruments including guitars and keyboards directly from their output jacks.

Despite my attempts to adjust the recording levels at the various input points, I am experiencing varied recording levels and need to solve the problem with the most easily workable solution. I have experimented with several of the available tools, with varied success.

Please advise,

Dave Anderson

Audacity’s envelope tool allows you to manually control how you want the volume of a track to change over time …

Dynamic-Range-Compression will automatically reduce volume-variation within a track.

Percussion is a special-case : a limiter is required rather than a compressor, as standard compressors are not fast-acting enough to attenuate brief percussion sounds, such as claps …
Audacity (soft) Limiter used to reduce loud claps, (no ''Make-Up Gain'').gif

Audacity 2.0.6 is rather old. The current 2.1.3 version is available here: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/