Track Time Navigation?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Track Time Navigation?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi Everyone:
I'm using Windows 10, Audacity 2.1.3 , and obtained by .exe installer

I am trying to figure out how to navigate to a particular point in time within a track that I have recorded.
I know I can press my <Home> key on my keyboard to get to the start of the track and <End> key to get to its end.
I am confused as to how to snap my cursor to a middle point in time within the track itself?
I really don't want to have to hold down a left or right arrow key on my keyboard to navigate to a particular point in time within my track.
That takes too long doing things that way.
I've tried to play around with the Snap To function at the bottom of my screen, but it only has nearest and prior options, unless its set to off.
I've tried to figure out how to use Selection Start, but I've been unsuccessful.
End and Length and Audio Position - Well, I'm confused? How do I use this function properly?

Can you please explain things to me Step by Step?
Even if you can show me a video on how this is done will be appreciated.
Thank you
Tonkda

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Track Time Navigation?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:44 am

Tonkda wrote:I am trying to figure out how to navigate to a particular point in time within a track that I have recorded.

Audacity can remember, (store), a time-interval, (region), you were editing, so you can return to it quickly ...

Demo of store & retrieve region in Audacity.gif
Click on this animation to see it in its entirety
Demo of store & retrieve region in Audacity.gif (998.07 KiB) Viewed 140 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you Trebor, your answer is helpful to some degree, if that is what I was actually doing.
But what I'm trying to figure out is this:
Okay, follow me now........
Let's say, I have finished making a recording.
Now, I'm at the end of the track.
I can easily do two things.
On my keyboard, I can press the <Home> key, and it takes the track cursor to the beginning of the track. Yippie!
On my keyboard, from the beginning of the track, I can press the <End> key, and it takes the track cursor back to the end of the track. Yappie!
However, from either side of my recorded track, the beginning or the end, I cannot snap to a point in the middle of my recorded track. Zonk!
To say this differently:
Suppose the length of my recorded track is 25 minutes at the end of the track.
Also suppose that I want to navigate back to the 12:30 minute of the track.
Of course, I can press the <Left> or <Right> arrow keys and hold them down until I reach the 12:30 minute of my track, depending on which side of the track I am at, either the beginning or end.
But that takes so darn long, :x
There's got to be a better way to do this :?:
Personally speaking, I can't believe the power of this wonderful piece of software and the developers forgot to program some functions in Audacity to achieve this objective.
There must--MUST--be a way to do this. I refuse to believe that with all the "bells and whistles" this program offers this cannot be done.

(Song) Help me Rhonda ... Help me get this thing out of me head!
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Tonkda wrote:... I cannot snap to a point in the middle of my recorded track.

If you're able to see the cursor, just move it to the middle of the track waveform using the mouse, then left-click the mouse button.

Tonkda wrote:Suppose the length of my recorded track is 25 minutes at the end of the track.
Also suppose that I want to navigate back to the 12:30 minute of the track

If you need to start exactly halfway in, you'll need to do the arithmetic yourself ...

Start half-way.gif
Start half-way.gif (540.5 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Trebor

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tonkda » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Trebor: You Rock Baby!

Well, it took a little of experimentation, but I finally figured out what that stuff means with your help.
I just wish you would've said to highlight the entire track first.
Then choose Prior or Nearest (which I am still confused about), but one of 'em works in my experiments.
Gosh, I feel like a scientist!
Somehow, I enter the Selection Start point.
Then I choose either End, which is where I want the selection to end, or Length if I want the entire rest of the track.
After I've done all the above stuff, then I gotta push Play.
And yippies eye oh eye aye, it does what I wants it to do.
You didn't say two things...important stuff: 1) The tracks got to be first highlighted completely. And 2) You's got to hit Play.

Oh boy, I am now an official Newbee at all this Audio stuff.
Thank goodness, I figured this cursor movement stuff out now. Sure will save me some time in the future.
Gee, I wonder if the manual teaches us how to do this? I did look and scan through the glossary and contents before this thread, but I didn't find anything on this subject.

But with your help Trebor, I am now ready to go catch Kangaroo!
Tonkda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Tonkda wrote:... I wonder if the manual teaches us how to do this? I did look and scan through the glossary and contents before this thread, but I didn't find anything on this subject.

There are plenty of Audacity tutorial on YouTube, but none are official, & many are out-of-date,
but they may still be useful to someone who hasn't seen Audacity in-action ...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=audacity+tutorials+beginners+2017
Trebor

Return to Windows