Need a bit of help with common processes

I’m using 2.1.1. I cannot find the “exact three-section version” on the Help/About menu, but I doubt it matters. Is it the Commit Id?

I’m fairly sure I used 1.2.6 for a very long time. The UI of 2.1.1 has thrown me for a loop, and I cannot figure out how to do things I used to do.

Generally, I need to program to split tracks on live CDs, or from cassette tape copies. I’ll add fades. Then there are those “hidden” tracks that have to be pulled from a CD and islated to form proper tracks of their own. Nothing too special.

To select spots from the cursor to the beginning or end of the track, I use SHIFT-J and SHIFT-K. Easy enough.

But I used to cut out a part of a larger song and “paste” it as a new track, which I could edit further, separate from the original track. I cannot figure out how to do that, now. I keep getting errors about pasting stereo tracks into mono tracks. I’ve tried CTRL-N, CTRL-V, and other combination, to no avail.

How do I cut part of a track and create a separate track for further editing?

And God help me if I ever have to cut out a space in the middle of a track!

Thanks if you have the time to offer a hand.

To select spots from the cursor to the beginning or end of the track, I use SHIFT-J and SHIFT-K. Easy enough.

But I used to cut out a part of a larger song and “paste” it as a new track, which I could edit further

I’d say it’s easier to make a new file. Select the part you want to save, then file → Export Selection. Then, you can re-open (import) that file for fading, etc.

Then there are those “hidden” tracks that have to be pulled from a CD and islated to form proper tracks of their own.

That depends on your CD ripping software, not Audacity. …And I hope you are “ripping” (digitally extracting the audio data from the CD) rather than “recording” (making a digital-to-analog-to-digital recording) with Audacity! You can record/digitize your cassettes, but CDs are already digital and you computer should have a CD drive…

I’m using 2.1.1. I cannot find the “exact three-section version” on the Help/About menu,[/quote]2.1.1 is what we’re looking for. (Three numbers with dot-separators in-between.)

Can create a new empty track by going to “Tracks” menu, “Add New”, “Stereo track” …
creating a new stero track in Audacity.png
Alternatively open a new Audacity window by going to “File” menu, “New”,
then pasting(Ctrl+V) the copied (Ctrl+C) audio in the new Audacity window.

Divine intervention not required: select the section you don’t want, then press “Ctrl”+ “X” keys, (or a “delete” key).

When I was more engaged with archiving music, I did this all the time—it became second nature. I’ve taken a few years off, and forgotten much. And the interface changed a bit.

I’m certain I never exported selections and then reloaded them as separate projects. I clearly remember “cutting” or “copying” one part of a very long recording (Pink Floyd’s The Wall, for instance) and creating a new file out of that, in a new window—maybe I used CTRL-N and CTRL-V? I remember the process being fast and easy. With the current version of Audacity, CTRL-N is giving me mono projects. I don’t get why it doesn’t create stereo projects I can paste into—or just create a new project with whatever is in the clipboard, be it stereo or mono.

In the above Pink Floyd example, wherein songs generally run together, you cut or copy the song you want, with a bit of the preceding and successive songs, and open that in a new window. Trim and add fades to the beginning and end. This you export as an edited track you can now enjoy in isolation. Close the window to go back to the original, longer file. Cut off the song you just processed and move on to the next one. It hasn’t been so long that I don’t remember what I did in general terms! One of the coolest things I did with Audacity was turn Another Brick in the Wall, Parts 1, 2,& 3 into a single, seamless track. I’d be hard pressed to do so today.

In case it matters, I’m using EAC to rip CDs. I edit when I need to, convert with RazorLAME, tag with MP3Tag, and archive to DVDs and external hard drives. I used to use Fuerio! to create custom discs, as it allowed more customization in playback than anything else I’ve ever seen (crossfading!).

Hidden tracks: I just archived a Thirty Seconds to Mars album that had a hidden track 12 minutes after the listed track. I use Audacity to turn those hidden tracks into legitimate tracks.

I’ll play around with Audacity some more and come back to this thread if I keep running into trouble.

Well, this is odd:

Mika, Life in Cartoon Motion, track 12, Happy Ending is followed by a hidden track called Over My Shoulder. I am going to separate the tracks.

I selected the hidden track, pressed CTRL-C, CTRL-N, and CTRL-V. I got a new track. It said it was stereo. The left & right channels were different. BUT, the wave form of BOTH channels looked to have been cut in half horizontally, with only the upper half of each channel showing. I’ve never seen that before. It was the worst case of cut in half I’ve ever seen. It played all right, but the representation of the wave form was seemingly wrong.

I selected the hidden track a second time, pressed CTRL-X, CTRL-N, and CTRL-V. I got a new track. It was stereo. The wave forms looked to be the same as they were in the original file—NOT cut in half. It played fine.

Any idea what is going on this time?