Windows event viewer error

Audacity V 2.1.3 (.exe installer) running on 64 bit Windows 10 pro event viewer error.

Windows lists the following audacity error in its event log, and I’m not sure what it means or what to do about it:

Activation context generation failed for “D:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity\Audacity\audacity.exe”. Error in manifest or policy file “” on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.15063.483_none_26002d27e7c744a2.manifest. Component 2: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.15063.483_none_6dad63fefc436da8.manifest.

The problem seem to arise because of code-signing Audacity, which changes the embedded manifest.

The “errors” don’t affect Audacity’s operation, so you can ignore them, unless you want to use a resources editor to replace the 2.1.3 manifest with the 2.1.2 manifest.

Gale

Is it something that will be corrected in future Audacity versions?

I don’t have specific information about this issue, but we do try to prioritize issues that will be of greatest benefit to Audacity users.

Any idea why the error is showing up, even though Audacity has not even been run? I reinstalled Audacity (just to be safe), but it had no affect. That’s what caught my attention - the error is not related to running Audacity.

BTW, the Audacity error also immediately and consistently triggers these four cascading errors as a result of it:

Activation context generation failed for “C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\arm\signtool.exe.Manifest”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.Windows.Build.Appx.AppxSip.dll,version=“0.0.0.0” could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Activation context generation failed for “C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\arm64\signtool.exe.Manifest”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.Windows.Build.Appx.AppxSip.dll,version=“0.0.0.0” could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Activation context generation failed for “C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\arm64\filetypeverifier.exe”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language=“*”,processorArchitecture=“arm64”,publicKeyToken=“6595b64144ccf1df”,type=“win32”,version=“6.0.0.0” could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Activation context generation failed for “C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\arm64\oleview.exe”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls,language=“*”,processorArchitecture=“arm64”,publicKeyToken=“6595b64144ccf1df”,type=“win32”,version=“6.0.0.0” could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I’ve learned not to ignore errors in either Application or System Windows logs, especially those related to SideBySide. It took me many months to to correct the harm they did to my system because I was told to ignore them as they “weren’t important”. It’s hard to know what harm they can cause down stream by not correcting them, and that’s why they’re flagged with in red with an exclamation point. Often times when the problem is caught further down stream, it’s difficult to find the cause because the root cause was not properly handled when it was first detected.

That error looks like it’s related to MSVS. Do you have MSVS installed?
Are you a software developer?
Do you have Win 10 SDK installed?