Songs from playlists dont get rated so wont move to albums

Audacity 2.0.3 and Windows 10. Occasionally some songs or even all exported as MP3 and then moved from file to playlist do not get star ratings. When that happens the system cannot move them to albums. Currently driving me nuts. All but one song of one album won’t go and 2 of 24 from a double album won’t go. Very new to audacity. I record from vinyl to USB direct then import from the USB, separate individual songs and export one at a time to file. Please can someone help stop me going totally looney tunes 'cause I can’t find an answer. BTW I have imported 140 albums in the last few weeks and probably 135 went through OK.

Thanks

Milty

That sounds like a problem with your player software. And… You didn’t say what player you are using…

There should be a way to give the songs “star ratings” with your player software. But, that shouldn’t affect your album organization.

When that happens the system cannot move them to albums.

Are the songs “tagged” with the album name? In Audacity you can use File → Edit Metadata Tags, or you can use [u]MP3Tag[/u]. Make sure all the songs are in the album are tagged with exactly the same album name. (That’s easy to do in MP3Tag by opening a folder containing the album and selecting all of the songs to tag at once… You can edit the album & artist of all tracks at once without touching the track name or number, etc.)

Thanks. I am using a current model combined CD and record player by TEAC with a direct USB output. As I indicated in my post, without star ratings trac ks will not move to albums so the only place I can group them is in playlists. If I right click and look at properties the album that they are from is correct but in the current one that is bugging me, only 2 of 20 get stars so while the 20 save as a playlist, only the two go to form an album.

What I do is record both sides of an album to USB, remotely. When I have a few I put the USB in my laptop and open audacity, import the REC file for an album, copy all files except #1 to clipboard, delete them then export the first. I set up the metadata as a default for artist and album and export the file. I then copy all the rest of the album and repeat the process for song 2, 3 etc… When I key in the name of each song I Ctrl-C it and Ctrl-V it into the metadata. Errors are rare and usually are due to not updating the track number. That is always picked up on the last track or earlier and the mis-numbered tracks are exported again.

All and any clues greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Milton

As I indicated in my post, without star ratings trac ks will not move to albums so the only place I can group them is in playlists.

You still didn’t say what player software you’re using… Windows Media Player? This doesn’t seem to be an Audacity issue… This is either a problem with your tags (meatdata) or your player.

When I have a few I put the USB in my laptop and open audacity, import the REC file for an album, copy all files except #1 to clipboard, delete them then export the first. I set up the metadata as a default for artist and album and export the file. I then copy all the rest of the album and repeat the process for song 2, 3 etc… When I key in the name of each song I Ctrl-C it and Ctrl-V it into the metadata.

It’s up to you, but I fine MP3tag a lot easier to use. (You can also embed album art with MP3tag, if you have an image, which I don’t believe you can do with Audacity.)

Thanks.

Windows Media Player is what I use to catalogue, sort etc.

A further clue is that if an album partly acts up, ie just some songs fail to rate, entirely deleting it from the computer and re-recording does not fix the problem so I can see it may be a WMP problem.

Thanks for helping.

Milton