Behringer UMC202HD

I am using Windows10 and a Behringer USB audio interface, UMC202HD. I am trying to set up my PC as a guitar amp and use guitar effects software instead of using a dedicated amp and pedals. My problem is I only get sound out of one side of headphone, left or right depending on which input of interface (there are two) I plug into. The Direct Monitor button on the interface must be pushed in to get sound out of that one side. If I push the button out there is no sound on either side.

Although I am not trying to record I’ve been told that I need to use a DAW in order to get sound out of both sides. I was told by Behringer support, “The reason you are hearing each input on one side is because you have the “Direct Monitor” button pressed. That button makes it so that you directly hear what comes into each channel on each side.
If you want to hear it on both, you need to have that button depressed, and on the DAW select as a mono input channel, and a stereo output. That way you’ll hear what comes from the DAW.”

My problem is I don’t know how to set up Audacity to do this. Currently this is what I’ve done:

In the Device toolbox. The first box says “MME”. The second box says, Line(3 Behringer UMC202hd). The third box says 1(Mono) recording channel. The fourth box says Speakers(3- Behringer UMC202hd.). In the recording meter toolbar just the left channel turns green when guitar is strummed. In the Playback meter nothing lights up when the guitar is strummed. The direct moniter button is Not pushed in. My goal is to monitor the guitar output in both sides of my headset. Behringer support says it can be done with a DAW. I just can’t figure out how to do it. Any suggestions, advice or recommendations would surely be appreciated. .

If I push the button out there is no sound on either side.

Turn on [u]Software Playthrough[/u]. Since you’re configured for mono, you should get sound out of both sides. But, you may experience latency (delay).

If you re not using the other input for anything a Y-adapter to feed the guitar into both inputs would be an easy fix.

Behringer support says it can be done with a DAW.

Audacity isn’t really a DAW, it’s an audio editor. And, a DAW won’t automatically solve any latency issues you may have… That’s the advantage of direct hardware monitoring… No latency/delay in your headphones.

I am trying to set up my PC as a guitar amp and use guitar effects software instead of using a dedicated amp and pedals.

For recording or for live performance? Audacity does not apply effects in real time. Most DAWs do, but the more effects you add the more likely you are to have latency issues. And of course, you wouldn’t get any software effects with direct hardware monitoring.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. I think that I’ve been approaching this all wrong. I ran into a YouTube video where a gent explains how to setup s usb audio interface to interact with guitar special effects software like Guitar Rig and create a pc virtual guitar amp and virtual effect pedals. As it turns out I don’t need a DAW or music editing software like Audacity, thank heavens. Climbing Mt. Everest while doing a hand stand looks easier. I appreciate the time you spent answering my question. I don’t know diddly squat about audio and you gave me a few pearls of wisdom.

I actually would not recommend doing what you’re trying to do… I especially would advise against it if you are performing live… Computers are the least reliable things we own!* A guitar amp can last a lifetime with no show-stopping problems, but everybody has a “computer problem” once in awhile, and it usually takes more than a couple of minutes to fix it. (It’s a good idea to carry extra guitar strings and an extra cable too. :wink: )

That said, you can look for a “real time VST host” or a “live VST host”.

As you may know, VST is a plug-in effect protocol/standard and there are thousands of free & commercial VST plug-ins. The “host” is the application it “plugs-into”, which is usually a DAW or audio editor. But, it can be a simpler application just for listening or playback.

It’s very common for pros to record electric guitar with a mic in front of the amp, and it’s also very common to record direct (electrical connection) on another track at the same time where they can add various amp “sims” (simulated amplifiers/cabinets) or other effects. The direct connection can either be directly from the guitar or out of a pedal, or they can record 3 tracks… A microphone, direct from the guitar, and direct out of the pedal(s). These effects are normally added in post production (during mixing, after recording).

\

• It’s not always the “computer’s fault”… Sometimes the user has done something wrong, or there’s a bug in a program or driver, etc.

Lol. Thanks for the advice DVDdoug. Truer words have never been spoken about the “reliability” of computers. No Sir. I’m not a musician, much less a pro working in a band or recording studio. I’m just a hobbyist who enjoys learning songs and riffs on guitar and playing around with pc’s and assorted electronic and audio gear. It’s more fun and intellectually stimulating than watching TV which is 95% garbage and actually kills brain cells. At my age I can’t afford that.

Cheers.

I don’t remember this mentioned yet, but once you close Audacity, we can’t take effects out. Even Audacity Projects do not have UNDO. Audacity’s goal is to record flat and clean, save a safety copy, and only then apply effects, corrections, changes and post production.

That’s from the idea that once you press stop after the show, the performer is going to go home and you never see them again. If you apply the effects live and you decide later you didn’t really want all that echo and reverb and you don’t have that clean copy, that’s the end. You have no show.

Koz