No sound on transfer from player to computer

I was able to get line in on my computer. I tried to copy a song from my external player thru your program it showed that there was sound working but I was not able to get it working through Audacity,
Is there some that I need to do in MME—Stero Mix to get sound picked up?

Thanks

I tried to copy a song from my external player thru your program it showed that there was sound working

What does that mean? …If you see the “meters bouncing” and if you see a blue waveform, you are recording. Maybe you’re recording and you can’t play back???

Are you hearing the sound from your computer speakers?

How is your external player connected? Do you have a laptop or a desktop/tower with a “regular soundcard”? What connections are available on your player and on your computer?

What kind of “player” is this?

Stereo Mix should “work” if you see that option, but it’s not the best option unless you are recording streaming sound over the internet. Stereo Mix records the sound coming out of the computer speakers (or headphones). You should select the appropriate audio input such as ‘Line-in’ on your soundcard (if you have line-in).

There are no meters

Line from cd plaer to line in on tower
desk top
Durabran Radio/cd pklayer

Let me say this and I done for a long time using this company until I lost the line in to tower.

My question againis is there something in the MMEe -== Stero–windows that might need changed/

Again thanks

Line from cd plaer to line in on tower

Good! That’s the correct connection.

My question againis is there something in the MMEe -== Stero–windows that might need changed]

Since you are connected to Line-in, select Line-In as your [u]Recording Device[/u].

Also, I’d start with WASAPI (the newest protocol/host) and if that doesn’t work try DirectSound, and if that doesn’t work, try MME (the oldest protocol).

…until I lost the line in to tower.

Of course, if line-in is “lost” it won’t work. :wink: If Audacity can’t find Line-in, please confirm that’s the problem and we can work on that.

Durabran Radio/cd pklayer

If you are recording the radio, fine. But, don’t “record” CDs! Use a “CD ripping” application (not Audacity) to make a direct-digital copy. Then if you want to edit the digital files, you can use Audacity.

There are no meters

Audacity has [u]recording and playback meters[/u]. You should see “action” on the recording meter if you’re recoding.

I am 82 years old, I am not as smart as many people in the computer world I have never had any teaching jus some help from a great son who said to me ’ DON’T BE AFRAID MOST MISTAKES CAN BE CORRECTE’" and what I know I learned from asking questions such as I have done here on this great board. But I do have some common sense. If my ability to record cd’s from an external in the past and run it through Audacity to be converted to wav was done in the past why not now. I looked on the recording board and saw these boxes. MMe–beside that box I clicked on that box–low and behold 'LINE IN appeared it put that in the box was sound recording.

My experience has come through asking, listening and great help from people on forum boards. I found this board several years back and thankful for those of you has put this Audacity available for us.
I don’t a lot about all the other things available and probably will not pursue any more.
I heard a man giving a thank you for being awarded as the winner of that night’s class winner. I will never forget what he said-----'I AM NOT AS SMART AS MOST OF YOU FOLKS BUT WHAT I KNOW I KNOW AS WELL AS A SMART MAN". I have never forgot him or what he said.

If you have taken time to read this, I thank you As I said when I was discharged from the US Navy, "Don’t give up the ship—full steam ahead:
There is no brag on my words, Just thankful for kind people