Noob Alvin appearance

Windows 8.1
Audacity 2.0.3
I’ve read the other posts about recordings sounding like Alvin, but I haven’t found a solution yet.
I just installed Audacity expecting to capture cassette input into USB. First track sounded ok. Stopped the cassette, then restarted and everything since sounds like Alvin. I’ve gone to Effects/Speed and tried higher and lower settings, but doesn’t seem to help. Does changing any of the settings require restarting Audacity to see the effect?
What else do I need to change?
Thanks

Go to Windows Recording devices, (properties), and disable any “enhancements” you find.

And disable all the Windows recording devices you are not using, (e.g. “Stereo Mix”, “Iine-in”).

I just installed Audacity expecting to capture cassette input into USB.

You just installed Audacity 2.0.3? The current Audacity version is 2.1.3.

Koz

Thank you for your prompt replies. This is an update on what I’ve done.
Windows 8.1
Audacity 2.0.3
Reset the Sound/Recording to Microphone array,USB pnp, 16 bit, 48,000 rate (which is to some extent forced by what Windows is “seeing”??). Disabled Line Input. With the Windows device info matching the settings in Audacity and, after restarting, Alvin is still there but his voice has changed.
Uninstall 2.0.3
Reboot
Install Audacity 2.1.3
Go through cassette player’s setup guide, recheck device, rate,quality settings.
Hit record, nothing. Not seeing waveform info, timer isn’t moving. Looked at tutorials again.
:blush: :question: