unable to record on audacity

When I hit the play button to record, it :
error opening sound advice, trychanging the audio host, recording device and the projectsample rate.

what do i use to record an send to prospective client, Do use a headphones plug into the jacks??? …Sharon W

Which three number Audacity do you have?

We need you to describe the show. Windows 10 has a whole list of things that can go wrong depending on what you’re trying to record. Do you have a separate microphone not in the computer? Which one? Is the computer a laptop?

Are you a voice performer auditioning for a voiceover job?

Koz

the audacity that was downloaded is audacity 2.1.3, I have windows 10, no i do not have microphone ( that I know of ) in my system, I am a new voiceover artist, just getting started, can i use my headset and plug the jacks into my system to record… …Sharon W

Cool. When you get that far, we have audiobook mastering tools, processes and inspectors.

can i use my headset and plug the jacks into my system to record.

Sure. What is it? My USB headset was made by Logitech.

We can only go with what you tell us, so the more the merrier. We can extrapolate from simple hardware names and numbers. I have a MacBook Pro 15".

Koz

I need to start recording, and you ar talking about audiobooks, I need to someone to walk me through the process so that I can start recording because of the error that I am getting my headset is insignia and that error i am getting how do i bypass that when I try to record on audacity…

and plug the jacks into my system to record…

If the headset has USB you should be good to go!

If your headset has two [u]3.5mm plugs[/u] (one for the mic and one for the headphones) and your computer has two 3.5mm jacks, you’re good to go!

Or, if both have a 4-conductor 3.5mm TRRS “combo” plugs/jacks", you’re good to go!

If one has a single combo jack and the other has separate mic & headphone plugs (or jacks) you’ll need an adapter. “Normal” headphones will work on a computer with the combo jack but the microphone needs a special plug.

headset is insignia and

Insignia makes a TV, a Tablet and television converter. It’s rough to tell you how to run your headset if we can’t tell what it is.

Does it have a plug that looks like this?

Can you point to a web page as If I wanted to buy a headset like yours.

Koz

I have a desktop processor which have 2 jacks on the front, which I plug in my headset, I dont have a jack with usb…
all I need to know how I can record on aidacity, because I wont be able to do any projects asap…I shouldnt have to have a books just to record, after this I will send a donation…sharon w

Getting there. So you have one of these:

Koz

yes, I have the plug in on my headset and plu into the processor, so how do I record on audacity… Sharon W

how do I record on audacity

Baby steps. Windows has to see your headset before Audacity gets it. Close Audacity.

Right-click on the little speaker picture in the lower right of your Windows desktop > Open Volume Mixer.

Speak into the headset. Do any of the sliders register a bouncing green light?

If not, then I’m out. You may need to select Recording Devices to make this work. I’m not a Windows elf, so we need to wait for one of those to go any further.

https://www.howtogeek.com/244963/how-to-adjust-the-volume-for-individual-apps-in-windows/

Koz

did you reply to my last comment, all I want to know is how to record on audacity, this is holding up my work I possible can get, I was testing audacity do I go into like file, an zoom at the top of the program to record, this is the first time I am using audacity…Sharon W

Volume mixer is for playback sound, (sound coming out), Koz. I really can’t understand why you started telling users to test inputs using Volume Mixer. I suggest you don’t.

Right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock, then choose “Recording Devices”. Test levels there.

Gale

If you decided to use the headset with two 1/4 inch cables, open Audacity’s Device Toolbar and choose the “External Mic” or “Headset Mic” as Recording Device (second box). We can’t tell you what the recording device will be called exactly. Choose MME host in the first box.

Then click the Record button in Audacity to record to a new track. Hold SHIFT on your computer keyboard then click Record to record at the end of the same track, Make sure your Project Rate bottom left of Audacity is 44100 Hz.

If you don’t see your headset mic in Audacity’s Device Toolbar, right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock, then choose “Recording Devices”. Right-click in empty space anywhere inside there and choose “Show disabled devices” then right-click again and choose “Show Disconnected Devices”. Right-click the headset mic and choose “Enable”. See here about how to use Windows Soundː Missing features - Audacity Support.

If you don’t see your headset playback device in Audacity’s Device Toolbar, change to playback devices in Windows Sound by clicking the “Playback” tab. Right-click in empty space anywhere inside there and choose “Show disabled devices” then right-click again and check “Show Disconnected Devices”. Right-click over the headset and choose “Enable”.

Restart Audacity after making changes in Windows Sound, before trying to record again.

Gale

had to reboot my audacity, but now when I hit the record button, cant record, my audio host is MME, my recording device is front mic, but when I click on the recording device, for the front mic, it is blank, and it should not be blank