Unable to record. Recording cursor does not appear [SOLVED]

I am using Windows 10 64 bit. I just downloaded Audacity version 2.1.3 Note that before I downloaded the latest version, I had the same problem with the last version. Downloading the latest version did not solve this problem. Here’s the problem: When I click on the Record button, the recording cursor does not appear and move across the screen. The recording screen remains blank. In addition, I get the error message:

“Latency Problem – Latency correction setting has caused the recorded audio to be hidden before zero. Audacity has brought it back to start at zero. You may have to use the time shift tool (<—> or F5) to drag the track to the right place.”

I have been unable to solve this problem with the time shift tool or with F5. It will not record. The record cursor does not appear at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl L.
Audacity_error.jpg

Looks like your settings in the device toolbar are wrong. What are you trying to record?

I was trying to record internet streaming audio. But this may not be relative to the problem because, even if I were recording nothing at all, the recording cursor should still move across the screen from left to right, as long as “Sound Activated Recording” is turned off. But it does not. You said that one of the settings in my toolbar may be wrong. Can you tell me which setting you think may be wrong? Thanks for helping me.

Carl Lewandowski

That’s not the case when using WASAPI.
When using WASAPI, Audacity is tied to the selected audio stream. If the selected stream is not active, then Audacity should wait until the stream starts.

I can’t see all of what you have selected, but it looks like you are trying to record from “Optical S/PDIF” output, and I’m guessing that the Internet stream is playing through an analog output.

Thanks for the help. Under Edit–>Preferences–>Devices I had “Recording Device” set to “Realtek Digital Output (Optical)” I reset it to “Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)”. That fixed the problem. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Carl