cannot set level for input record,

W10 audacity 2.1.3 ( .exe installer)
I use the system soundcard of my laptop Lenovo , input Wasapi , input device: speakers (Connexant SmartAudio HD (loopback).
In the manual I read to adjust input level via the volume mixer, that seems not to work well, the sound display is rather truncated at the set level and not reduced . How can I manage that or is there a work arround?

I believe that’s normal with WASAPI loopback… With loopback you are directly “capturing” the digital audio stream that’s playing and you can’t change the levels or otherwise monkey with it.

What’s the “real” problem? You can always reduce the volume after recording with the Amplify effect.

If the playback output is not too loud (not clipping) the recording level should be fine. If the playback is clipping (distorting), reducing the recording level won’t remove the distortion.

In the manual I read to adjust input level via the volume mixer, that seems not to work well, the sound display is rather truncated at the set level and not reduced.

What are you recording? Are you recording streaming audio from the Internet?

Hey,
thanks for the reaction.
I am indeed recording from internet (A replay of the Queen Elysabth concourt).;
In the replay I don’t find anything to reduce playback level. As suggested I will tray reduce recording level after recording witj the amplify tool.
Ralf (sorry for the late reply, I was expecting an e-mail to warn me if there was an answer to my post).

Make sure you have copyright holders’ permission to record these concerts, We have to say that to protect ourselves from being pursued by the copyright holders.

Make sure you are subscribed to the topic (see the button at bottom left). You may have to check the Spam and Trash folders in your e-mail for the notification.

Gale