Effects to make songs "darker"?

Audacity version: 2.1.2

Hi there. I’ve been a long-time user of audacity but am pushing the envelope of my limited effects knowledge. Basically, for ambience purposes in a game I’m trying to make various songs sound dark/evil/sinister/etc. The songs run the gamut from classic songs (think “Joy to the World” or any given national anthem) to contemporary hits. The one key element of all is voice–they all have vocals. If I had to darkify only one element, it’d be that; though ideally I would make instruments sinister as well (I know that making a drumbeat or piano more insidious is probably tough).

Example: Let’s say I have a song of a female singing “Amazing Grace.” Normally people singing AG use a low voice, but let’s assume the female has a high voice and sounds completely un-sinister. What effects could I use to make such a shrill voice evil?

Note: I’m not looking for a “how to” guide, though any response is appreciated. I’m just trying to be pointed in the right direction as many of the standard effects (let alone the plethora of plug-ins I don’t even know about) are opaque to me. Without extensive research on each, I have no clue what they’re doing or how to use them properly.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Vocoding with pink-noise sounds hoarse-demonic, ( & pitch is preserved) …

I’ve used “mda TalkBox” vocoder plugin in Audacity, rather than Audacity’s native vocoder.