Audacity 2.13 windows 10, pitch/sound recording problem

I play guitar and keyboard and record using audacity.
Recently however, every time I record a second track after the first track, the second track sounds out of tune.

I could be playing the same note over and over for both tracks and the second track will sound off. I am not sure if it is a pitch problem or something else.

I am not sure how to fix this. I tried reinstalling a fresh version of Audacity, turning on and off Overdub. Nothing seems to work.
I use a line 6 PODxt connected to an amplifier and use the USB to the PODxt to the computer.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Audacity 2.13

I hope not. We don’t make a 2.13. If it is 2.13, then you have a bogus version.

I tried reinstalling a fresh version of Audacity

The Windows installer has an option of resetting the preferences and settings. You should select that to really install Audacity fresh.

the second track sounds out of tune.

What happens to the third track?

Koz

Do you own a metronome? If so, try recording it. Does it play back at the correct speed?

I use a line 6 PODxt connected to an amplifier and use the USB to the PODxt to the computer.

When you play-back and it’s “wrong” are you listening through the POD or your regular soundcard?

If the POD has a headphone jack, and if you can play back through it, try that… Your regular soundcard may be “off”.

Sometimes if the clocks (oscillators) in the recording & playback devices don’t match (and they never match perfectly) you can get a pitch/timing shift. Some “cheap consumer” soundcards/soundchips can be off enough to cause problems.

I haven’t tried to see what happens if I make a third track, but I will.

Also I have Audacity Version 2.1.3 not 2.13

I believe the sound comes through the PODxt and amplifier, not my sound card. I’m not really sure what soundcard I have because but it’s a custom built computer and has been recording fine up until now. I will try it with headphones on and see if that changes anything. Thank you for your help.

Hi, I think I had the same problem. I solved it by adjusting the sample rate in the windows control panel (right click on the sound symbol in the windows task bar, recording devices, right click on podxt, preferences, advanced, standard format - change from 44000Hz to 48000Hz). Now everything is in tune! :slight_smile: