Edits are deleting too much

So I’ve just started using Audacity and the first few attempts went fine. Now, whenever I delete a section of audio I don’t want, it also deletes the next 4 seconds or so. I’ve even uninstalled and re-installed the program but I get the same problem. Could it be a problem with the file? Whenever I import the project, it gives me a pop up message saying there are “orphan files”. I have no idea what they are but it gives me the option to delete them or not and no matter which one I select, I end up with the same thing happening so maybe it’s not that.

I’m very confused. Help!

Make sure you have Audacity 2.1.3 from http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows. See the pink panel at the top of the page for how to check your version.

Orphan block files are files that don’t belong to the project. This is not harmful unless some other project wants those files.

If an extra 4 seconds is being deleted it sounds like you have missing block files as well. Audacity will delete the entire block of six seconds given it does not have the data. Have you been looking inside the project _data folders moving files around? That is a fatal mistake.

You could reopen the problem project then in that dialogue, click the button that opens the Log - you can also get there via Help > Show Log… . The Log will show you details of missing and orphan files. If you have missing files, put them back in the project subfolders indicated in the Log, then that project at least should not have holes in it.

Gale

It’s good to know that plain, ordinary reinstalling Audacity doesn’t actually reset everything. During the 2.1.3 Windows install, it should ask you if you want to reset preferences and settings, Say yes.

Koz