Wont load my project..........PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Im using 2.1.2 on windows 10. My laptop died with a project open. Normally it recovers the project. This time it cleared my recent projects and wont load the project i had open when it died. The data folder and shortcut it still in tact and when i try to open it it says "… Is a audacity project file and must be opened with file>open…

MY LAPTOP DIED … NORMALLY IT RECOVERS THE PROJECT.

It’s scary when you suggest this happens all the time. Sooner or later you’re going to hit a crash that’s not going to recover.

This may be that time.

Sometimes, Audacity can recover an abandoned _DATA folder (no good AUP file) if it was made of a mono recording with no edit or post-production. Stereo recordings are more difficult and edit productions are generally lost.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html
See #8.

This may be a good time to find out why your machine is dying. Also, the current Audacity is 2.1.3.

Koz

AND WHEN I TRY TO OPEN IT IT SAYS “… IS A AUDACITY PROJECT FILE AND MUST BE OPENED WITH FILE>OPEN…”

Usually that message means that you’re trying to import a project instead of opening it.

Or, see [u]Recovering crashes manually[/u].

MY LAPTOP DIED WITH A PROJECT OPEN.

What do you mean “died”? How did you bring it back to life? Did the battery run-out of power? Or did it have a hardware failure that had to be repaired? …Usually a “dead” computer has to be repaired or replaced. :wink: A “dead” (drained) battery can be recharged (or replaced it it’s “permanently dead”). If your computer crashes, you just have to re-start it (with the possible loss of data).

P.S.
If you’re recording, I recommend that you save (export) a WAV file in addition to your Audacity AUP project, so if you loose your project you don’t lose everything. If you have the original (or intermediate) WAVs, you can always start-over and create a new project if something goes wrong.

And in many cases, it’s not necessary to create an AUP project… You can just export to WAV. But that’s up to you, depending on your needs and your workflow, etc.

What happens or happened when Audacity tried to recover the project, before you tried to open the AUP file?

Gale

It died cuz i left it unplugged!! lol…fell asleep mixing and mastering…you know…i do need to upgrade i just hate reinstalling all of the plugins…

I think you may be right. Going forward i will start saving a wav aswell…just takes a sec to render so a bit inconvenient…but in the long run alot safer…my battery died and normally it initiates the recovery tool after something like this…but this seems to be the one time it didnt…had hours and hours of mixing lol

thats the thing…it never did…the recovery tool was never launched…it just gave me an error message

So what did that error message say, word for word?

Recovery is from an AUTOSAVE file - a completely different file to the saved AUP project file. See Managing Audacity Projects - Audacity Manual.

Recovery will be attempted - even if it errors - if the AUTOSAVE file exists. The AUTOSAVE file “might” be repairable with a lot of effort. However I would not raise your hopes too much without seeing the AUTOSAVE file. It might actually exist as a TMP file instead.

I now get the impression you are not bothered, but if you are, attach the AUP file to begin with.
Please see how to attach files to forum posts.

If the AUP file is all zeros (no data) then we could see if there really is an AUTOSAVE file or TMP file. Normally there would be.

Gale