Audacity stuck on splash page with Compiled ASIO builds

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

  • Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

  • Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Audacity stuck on splash page with Compiled ASIO builds

Permanent link to this post Posted by imeric » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:03 pm

I Compiled both 2.1.3 and 2.2.0 versions and they both freeze on another Win10 Machine. I have an Exasound e22 and a ADL gt40a.
Both of them use ASIO drivers and I use to ADL to record tapes, LPs...
It used to work fine but started to hang on the splash page a few weeks back.
I decided to recompile but I'm stuck with the same issue

It works fine on the machine I compiled it with (which also has an ASIO device).

Fairly sure it has nothing to do with compiling as it will work just fine on 2 other PCs (One w10 and other w7).

I recall having seen something about unsigned drivers and 1 out of the 4 files of my ADL GT40a is not digitally signed if this may be the source of the problem.

I can only start it if I start it in safe mode and i delete what's in %APP/Roaming first...

Ironically it used to be the opposite a few weeks bakc where it crash on the machine I compiled with and work fine on the PC I use for recording.

Both Compiled 2.1.3 (MArch download) and the latst from github as of today hang on the splash page.

The standard AUdacity w/o ASIO works on the problematic machine

Thx for the help!
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo in title
imeric
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:48 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Audacity stuck on splash page with Compiled ASIO builds

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Given the random changes in behaviour from week to week I think you might assume problems with the affected machine/sound devices. You may have an over-inquisitive security scanner for example.

You could debug by connecting only one sound card at a time when you launch Audacity.

If the offending machine lacks Visual Studio, be sure to add "msvcp120.dll" and "msvcr120.dll" from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC120.CRT (or the corresponding "C:\Program Files" folder) to the folder Audacity runs from. Remember that debug builds won't run at all without Visual Studio on the computer.

You should allow up to four minutes for ASIO Audacity to load. It can take that long.


Gale


imeric wrote:I Compiled both 2.1.3 and 2.2.0 versions and they both freeze on another Win10 Machine. I have an Exasound e22 and a ADL gt40a.
Both of them use ASIO drivers and I use to ADL to record tapes, LPs...
It used to work fine but started to hang on the splash page a few weeks back.
I decided to recompile but I'm stuck with the same issue

It works fine on the machine I compiled it with (which also has an ASIO device).

Fairly sure it has nothing to do with compiling as it will work just fine on 2 other PCs (One w10 and other w7).

I recall having seen something about unsigned drivers and 1 out of the 4 files of my ADL GT40a is not digitally signed if this may be the source of the problem.

I can only start it if I start it in safe mode and i delete what's in %APP/Roaming first...

Ironically it used to be the opposite a few weeks bakc where it crash on the machine I compiled with and work fine on the PC I use for recording.

Both Compiled 2.1.3 (MArch download) and the latst from github as of today hang on the splash page.

The standard AUdacity w/o ASIO works on the problematic machine

Thx for the help!
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Audacity stuck on splash page with Compiled ASIO builds

Permanent link to this post Posted by NabLa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm getting the same issue on Windows 7. Audacity will hang at the splash screen for a good 2 minutes when I have Ableton also open and ASIO-connected to my presonus firebox.

Once it starts, playback works fine through the Firebox, I'm not sure if it's connected via ASIO. Certainly not WDM, these are separate options also listing for the Firebox.

Happening since 2.0.x for me. When I updated to 2.2.0 I started fresh as well.

Downloaded from the site.
NabLa
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 pm
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Audacity stuck on splash page with Compiled ASIO builds

Permanent link to this post Posted by NabLa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm

I've tried this configuring Audacity to use the card via mme, wasapi and wdm
NabLa
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 pm
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Audacity stuck on splash page with Compiled ASIO builds

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:03 am

NabLa wrote:Audacity will hang at the splash screen for a good 2 minutes when I have Ableton also open and ASIO-connected to my presonus firebox.

I'm a bit surprised that it works at all.
ASIO requires exclusive access to the audio device, which means that while ASIO is using a device, nothing else can except by using it via ASIO.

Audacity cannot ship with ASIO support due to licensing issues, so Audacity cannot use a device when the device is being used by ASIO. My guess is that after 2 minutes, ASIO times out and releases the device, allowing Audacity to connect.

NabLa wrote:I'm not sure if it's connected via ASIO. Certainly not WDM

To see what Audacity is using, look at the "host" setting in the device toolbar.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 45340
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu


Return to Windows



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests