Unable to play after upgrade?

I upgraded to the latest version; I was using 2.1.2. Now I cannot play back anything. I can record, but when I try to play back, the playback button “depresses” but the curser doesn’t move and nothing happens. The green triangle of record head appears above the curser line. All of the buttons on the device toolbar grey out and most of the effects items are also greyed out. I’ve got a recording project to finish, so this is critical that I get this running. Thanks.

I upgraded to the latest version

Just so we’re clear, you’re on 2.1.3 now?

Koz

Which Windows?

Koz

Sorry, Windows 10.
I have both 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 installed in separate folders. Audacity is now working fine, using either program. Maybe I had too many windows open in Windows?? I did do a reboot after posting my original message, but before that and after upgrading to 2.1.3, 2.1.3 would not play back while 2.1.2 would. Neither would playback when I posted my note. Now both work again. So it be something with Windows. Whatever it is, is certainly above my pay grade!
Rich

Hi all, I have been having the exact same problem since upgrading to 2.1.3, using Windows 10. I have been finding that I have to hit the space key sometimes twice (bashing it a bit preferably) to get it to play the track! It really doesn’t want to…then today, I’m unable to get the track to play at all by either hitting the space bar or clicking the play icon. I’m about to go looking for the previous version so that I can finish editing a VO job. Any pointers?

I doubt that it will make any difference, but you can get Audacity 2.1.2 for Windows from here: http://www.oldfoss.com/Audacity.html
Let us know the outcome. If the problem persists, go back to Audacity 2.1.3 and we can start helping you to debug the problem.

I have been same problem, I had to change my windows from 7 to 10.

None of you say what device you are trying to play back to.

If it’s a USB device that you use all day in Audacity you must cold boot every day on Windows 10. To do that, Power button, hold Shift on your computer keyboard and click Shut down.

Gale