Recording TAPE into Audacity

HELLO – I am new to the forum. Seek your advice and help.

Situation: I have many 7”tapes recorded using a Tandberg tape recorder model 3 speed Hi-Fi stereo purchased in 1957. It has three speeds: 7 ½, 3 3/4, and 1 7/8), The Tandberg has a bad noise problem in playback. So, I purchased a used TEAC recorder model 2300 S (2 speed- 7 ½, 3 3/4) to record my tapes into Audacity. A manual and a 7” tape with modern music came with it.
OBSERVATIONS:

1. I had no problem making the hookup from the TEAC to my computer. Standard RCA connections to the TEAC and 1/8” Stereo mini to my computer input jack. The demo tape that came with the TEAC records OK into Audacity. Playback quality is good and no noise.
  2. The Tandberg unit 7 1/2 tape speed is not the same as the TEAK 7 1/2. A new full tape on each run as follows:
    Viewing right side reel:
    Tandberg 60 RPM and TEAK 46 RPM. Tried recording a Tandberg tape on the TEAC using the Effect/change speed at 60/46 or 1.3043 – with poor sound playback results. No noise however.
    Audience clapping appears to be great at any speed. Singing appears well below pitch
  3. The Tandberg presents another problem. The output jacks are not standard. I can not find my original manual but did find a service manual on line for Tandberg Model 5 (includes model 3) .No indication in it regarding the output jacks. The jack holes measure about 5/8” deep and 5/16” at the opening.
  4. I am reasonably comfortable with using Audacity. Used it a few years back to combine movements of a symphony and convert it to an MP3.

TWO possible alternatives:

1. Should I record the old tapes into Audacity using the TEAC and resolve how to adjust the speed?
    If so. I would appreciate some guidance on how to zero in on the speed.
    Assume I should use the EFFECT/change speed when trying to correct pitch.

2. Should I record the old tapes into Audacity using the Tandberg and take out the NOISE using the
    EFFECT/Noise Reduction. I would need an assist on what the output jacks are, and where available.
    Or, I could open the case and get to the actual wires and splice in what is needed,

What started out as a simple switch of Tape Recorders has turned out to be a bit more than I can handle.
Would appreciate some guidance on the best way to proceed.

REGARDS
BudM
Using Windows 10, Audacity 2.1.3 installed in March 2017,

Recording at the wrong speed, then correcting speed in Audacity, inevitably means you will lose some of the sound-spectrum present on the tape. If running the tape slow, some of the bass will go into infrasound and be lost, (speeding up the recording of the slowed tape won’t recover the bass).

If playing back at faster speed, high frequencies are lost … Higher speed transfers - Audacity Manual

Restore the Tandberg. It’s the only way. Everything else is a lesser solution.

You can find the service manual here:

http://www.sportsbil.com/tandberg/tb-5-sm.pdf

It’s worth the trouble and the expense. A model 3 in working condition is fairly rare these days :confused:

The demo tape that came with the TEAC records OK into Audacity. Playback quality is good and no noise.
2) The Tandberg unit 7 1/2 tape speed is not the same as the TEAK 7 1/2. A new full tape on each run as follows:
Viewing right side reel:
Tandberg 60 RPM and TEAK 46 RPM. Tried recording a Tandberg tape on the TEAC using the Effect/change speed at 60/46 or 1.3043 – with poor sound playback results. No noise however.

This is all VERY STRANGE!

Is your power-line frequency 50Hz (Europe, etc.)? How sure are you about the 60/46 ratio? Is it possible that you are running a 60Hz machine at 50Hz?

…Every time I’ve seen a tape recorder with an obvious speed defect the speed has been uneven, slow, and “draggy”. I’ve never seen one that played at a constant wrong speed (unless it was set to the wrong speed).

Sorry it has taken so long. Finally figured what the problem was.
My problem was that ALL the tapes recorded by my old Tandberg tape recorder were only NOISE when I used a newer TEAC tape recorder to input them into Aidacity.

ANSWER
The OLD Tandberg tape recorder was recording first on Track #1 and then on Track #2.
Newer machines (like the TEAC 2300S) first record on Track #2 and then Track #1.
So, when we recorded into Audacity we were listening to the music in reverse.
The sound was just noise to the ear.

Fortunately, Audacity has a REVERSE command in Effects.
We used that after we recorded the tape into Audacity, and that produced a good quality playback.

Just reporting this as someone else may face the same problem.

Regards,
BudM