Finding f0 and pitch

I am an absolute beginner with no physics experience so please keep you answers high school level. Thanks :slight_smile:

So, I am attempting to figure out the pitch and fo of a 10 second audio clip. I know that I have to go in to analyze then plot spectrum to get the frequency analysis. However, I am not sure how to read the resulting graph. I did a bit of research and some people say the lowest peak is the fo. However, that does not make sense as I know the fo should fall around 200-500 for this type of sound.
For pitch, I have been going to effects then to change pitch. This provides a starting pitch. However, I am not sure if this is the best method to use.

Any help is appreciated!

Is there a significant peak within that frequency range?

This is me singing an “A” (approx 220 Hz). Click on the image to see the full picture:

You can grab and pull that window very wide and the quality of information will improve as you go. Also, the cursor will lightly stick to the peaks and the CURSOR window will tell you where it got stuck.

The spikes will get finer and more accurate as the SIZE setting increases, but you have to grab more and more sound to create a display. If you don’t have enough, the display will fail. Reduce the size.
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 5.53.43 PM.png
Koz

So, I am attempting to figure out the pitch and fo of a 10 second audio clip.

For music, of course the notes/pitch are going to change a lot over a 10 second period (many different notes with many different fundamentals).

I am an absolute beginner with no physics experience so please keep you answers high school level.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you a musician?

However, that does not make sense as I know the fo should fall around 200-500 for this type of sound.

What is “this type of sound”?

I did a bit of research and some people say the lowest peak is the fo. However, that does not make sense as I know the fo should fall around 200-500 for this type of sound.

That’s essentially correct. See [u]Wikipedia[/u]. But the definition can become a bit fuzzy with real-world complex sounds because the addition of a low-level lower-frequency tone won’t necessarily change the perception of pitch.

I usually say, “the most-prominent lower frequency.” But, some instruments (such as piano) may have a fundamental that’s less prominent than the harmonics.

Of course, if you have a whole band or whole orchestra playing there the sound is very complex with many simultaneous frequencies and it may be difficult to determine anything from the spectrum.

For pitch, I have been going to effects then to change pitch.

If you know the amount of change you want, say a 10% increase in pitch, or a musical change of two semitones, you don’t need to know the starting pitch. …Or if you want to change A=440 to A=432, you don’t need to analyze the recording, you just make a percentage change (because virtually all modern-western music is tuned the same, no matter the key).

The Change Pitch effect uses a similar method to Plot Spectrum to analyze the beginning bit of selected audio, and looks for the highest peak within that section. It’s surprising effective for such a simple technique.

A better approach is used by this “Pitch Detect” plug-in: Missing features - Audacity Support
Instructions for installing the plug-in: Effect Menu - Audacity Manual