exporting selected audio greyed out

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

exporting selected audio greyed out

Permanent link to this post Posted by bimfi » Thu May 18, 2017 12:18 am

I have a large mp3 file (540mb; 6 hours, 30 min) that I have been ripping into individual tracks. Everything seemed to be going fine. I was using the start and stop time blocks on the bottom, then would click the "export selected audio" and rename the file. I did about 30 tracks, then the "export selected audio" became greyed out. I have tried restarting the program, unselecting the track and then reselecting it, even saving the aup file, with no luck. Any suggestions? This happened after 21 tracks, then did it again after 10 more tracks. Very frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bimfi

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: exporting selected audio greyed out

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 am

Which version of Audacity (look in "Help > About Audacity"). If not Audacity 2.1.3, please update: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by bimfi » Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 am

Yes, I am running 2.1.3
bimfi

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 18, 2017 1:41 am

Ensure that playback is "stopped" and not "paused".

Would "Export Multiple" be better than exporting one at a time? http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/export_multiple.html
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by bimfi » Thu May 18, 2017 1:47 am

Playback is stopped. I think exporting multiple would be better, but I don't know how to do that (yet). I'm just a novice at this. I will look into it. But, that still doesn't help me try to figure out why it stopped allowing me to export selected audio.
bimfi

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 18, 2017 1:54 am

The only reasons that I can think of for "Exported Selected Audio" being greyed out are, either Audacity is in "pause" mode, or there is no selected audio.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by bimfi » Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm not sure why it was greyed out either because it was not in "pause" mode and the audio track was selected. I did a couple of things just now. I first deleted the project file (.aup), then deleted the data folder with the (.au) files in it. I then brought in the original large mp3 file and started ripping again. So far, I did complete the first group of files that I wanted to rip, which is about an hour long (36 tracks). I will continue with this project later on tonight to see if it continues to operate smoothly and without any glitches. I'm not really sure what the .au data folder was or is used for. If anyone can enlighten me, that would be great. Thanks.
bimfi

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri May 19, 2017 2:10 am

The "_data" folder contains the ".au" files which are the "audio". The ".aup" file tells Audacity how to fit the .au file together to create the "project".
More information here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/auda ... jects.html
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by bimfi » Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm

I do appreciate the info and suggestions on trying to figure out why Audacity is not performing properly on my PC. Unfortunately, it is happening much too frequently for me to continue to use this program for this project. I will continue to use Audacity for smaller projects in the future. Thanks for the support.
bimfi

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed May 24, 2017 3:14 pm

If you accidentally click in the grey background underneath the track, this deselects the track and would grey out Export Selected Audio even though there is still a time range. Pressing ENTER on your keyboard should reselect the track with its time range.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Next

Return to Windows