Analogue Turntable Issues

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Analogue Turntable Issues

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rusty Rebel » Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 am

" Audacity will open whatever Windows provides. Audacity gets the show from Windows, not the mixer or turntable." Kos

That makes sense, I wondering how I did it before ???

Possibly I need to link a small mixer to pick up the line in / phono ?

As I dont get a signal from the TTs, but I do if I use virtual Dj when i change the configs ... in the past in Audacity, i would press the monitor and could control the volume levels ....

I would like an easy route to be able to get a signal in Audacity without using VDJ, with a volume level I can control ... especially at this time of night ... its pretty loud ...

RRx
Rusty Rebel

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 am

VDJ may be conflicting with Audacity or it may be "taking over" the USB connection. So, I recommend you try it without VDJ running.

I have Tosh Sat Laptop leading to Hercules RMX Mixer via usb leading to external speakers.
That sound right for VDJ, but to record with Audacity the signal needs to go the other way.... Mixer -> USB -> Computer. You may be able to use it both ways at the same time, but right now we're trying to get the sound from the mixer into Audacity.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, let's back-up a bit...

Does your mixer (or some kind of "USB" device) show-as your Recording Device in Audacity? (I'm not sure if it's not showing-up, or if you've selected it and you're "recording silence".)

Audacity can't find it, right-click on the Windows Speaker/Volume icon. Navigate to Recording Devices, and try to find the USB mixer. Window has found it, navigate to Properties -> Advanced and make in-check "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device..

If Windows doesn't see the mixer, of course Audacity won't see it either. You may have to re-install the driver.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If none of that works, there may be something we can do to record
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rusty Rebel » Thu May 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Thank you for your replys...

Yes, Audacity was picking up the mixer, as mentioned the exclusive use, I have cleared that and yes I get a signal and hear the turntable although it is very low in Audacity ... so getting there. I have used the volumes in Audacity to full but not as loud as other applications ... something is holding back the in Audacity, some kind of setting / configuration possibly.

Maybe this is not the forum, but I will ask anyway how can I control line in connections o my mixer, so I can use all the effects such as Kill frequencies and equalizer ?
;) :) :D
Rusty Rebel

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am

Rusty Rebel wrote:how can I control line in connections o my mixer, so I can use all the effects such as Kill frequencies and equalizer ?

Try reading the manual for the mixer.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Previous

Return to Windows