10 bit, 12 kHz uncompressed no header output

Windows 7
Audacity 2.1.3

I cannot figure how to get a non-compressed file output in 10 bit format with sample rate of 12kHz and with no header. Is it possible using Audacity?

Thanks.

I don’t believe so, since computer files are stored in bytes (8-bits) so audio files (all files) are 8, 16, 24, 32-bits, etc.

Audacity does not have built-in support for 10-bit export.
That’s a very strange format - what’s it for?

Is this something your science teacher asked for? Might they have meant 8-bit?

Or do you mean NICAM?

Do you have an application that can play the file you want to export?

Gale

Oh to be young enough to have a teacher!

I want to program an Atmel 8 bit processor in 10 or 12 bit format with sample rate of 12kHz. I can make the digitising circuit but though I could cut corners by using a Windows application.

I guess you could try SoX with the -b parameter: http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html. It is a command-line application.

Downloads are at https://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/files/sox/.

Gale

12 kHz sample rate is simple enough. Just set the “Project Rate” (lower left corner of the main Audacity window) to 12000, then export as WAV.

For 10 or 12 bit, you can export from Audacity as 16-bit WAV, and ignore 6 or 4 LSBs when you read the data into your device.

As far as I’m aware, neither SoX or FFmpeg support 10-bit encoding.

I thought of that, or possibly manipulation in MATLAB, but are there universal commands for ignoring least significant bits (LSBs)?

Gale

Actually, if you export to RAW you’ll get a file without a header.

Export Audio
Save as type: Other uncompressed files
Header: Raw (Header-Less)
Encoding: Signed 16-bit PCM

Then, ignore the “extra” LSBs in your Atmel code.

Thanks all for your quick and helpful advice. Steve, I’ll go with your simple solution. :smiley:

Nothing “universal”, but I presume that freepiston has some way of reading raw “bits” into his device.
Bits can be “masked out” with “logical and”.

Good point Doug. I guess freepiston will not want the RIFF headers, so yes, export 16-bit RAW rather than WAV.