Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

  • Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Help > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .exe installer or the zip.

  • Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Mon May 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:By the way, someone trimmed the log, so it only shows opening one project.

As I said on feedback@. don't save projects to network locations unless you are prepared to deal with permissions and congestion issues.

Gale

Gale, what is a congestion issue?
Not being on a network, I don't consider "Public" a network location. Do you?

Which log? In the OP? I think Koz did that, as you can see in the footer.
:-)

Here it is again, with line breaks inserted between open software, open first file, open second file.
Code: Select all
13:12:36: Audacity 2.1.2
13:12:36: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries...
13:12:36: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from system paths. File name is 'avformat-55.dll'.
13:12:36: Looking up PATH environment variable...
13:12:36: PATH = 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;'
13:12:36: Checking that '' is in PATH...
13:12:36: FFmpeg directory is in PATH.
13:12:36: Checking for monolithic avformat from 'avformat-55.dll'.
**13:12:36: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-55.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
13:12:36: Loading avutil from ''.
13:12:36: Error: Failed to load shared library '.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
13:12:36: Loading avcodec from ''.
13:12:36: Error: Failed to load shared library '.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
13:12:36: Loading avformat from 'avformat-55.dll'.
13:12:36: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-55.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
13:12:36: Error: Failed to load FFmpeg libraries.
13:12:36: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.

13:13:01: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d0a\e000ad1c.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:13:01: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d0a\e000a9b8.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:13:01: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d0a\e000a167.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:13:01: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d0a\e000afb3.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d00' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d01' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d02' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d03' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d04' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d05' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d06' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d07' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d08' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d09' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d0a' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:13:40: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)

13:13:52: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d00\e0000c79.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:13:52: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d00\e0000ff2.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:13:52: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d00\e0000d7f.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:13:52: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d00\e0000ffe.au' (error 5: access is denied.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d00' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d01' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d02' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d03' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d04' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d05' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d06' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d07' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d08' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d09' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d0a' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
13:14:36: Error: Directory 'C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00' couldn't be deleted (error 145: the directory is not empty.)
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrap log in code tags for readability
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 3:36 pm

SMcClintock wrote:
kozikowski wrote:
20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2

Is that a common show name for you? Win10 may have changed the character acceptance, but historically it could create problems if you put characters such as & and # in a filename.

Good to know.
More sadness about Win10.

Koz has a thing about using punctuation in file names but it is totally unwarranted *if* these files are for your own usage and not for sharing with other users or putting on the internet. Audacity has full Unicode support. The only characters that you cannot use in file names on any version of Windows are these:

\ / : * ? " < > |

This has not changed in Windows 10. Koz is on Mac. In itself, # in the file name of the AUP file is not a problem.

SMcClintock wrote:
kozikowski wrote:The log seems to think Windows had a terrible time reaching and managing the directory. "Can't Open.." "Can't Delete.." Is there a permissions issue or security difference between that directory and the one you normally use?

Yes, I saw that and don't know where to look for the fix. I also don't know if that is problem.

The "can't delete" is a minor Audacity bug. The problem is "can't open" the files in the _data folder.

SMcClintock wrote:The files are in PUBLIC and every user can access it (which means "me" regardless of whose logon is up).

That is definitely the theory. But you appear to be sharing the Public folder on a network or the internet, which is a risk of using the Public folder . Or if you are not sharing with other computers, what do you mean by:
SMcClintock wrote:20170429 #58...." is 1.57.15.240
20170513...." is 1.58.08.190

Those "1"... sequences look like IP addresses to me.

SMcClintock wrote:The default directory was in Roaming for the user, and that was too confining if I was in a different user's logon. Hense...moved to Public Music.

If you don't have a partition just for media, why not use a subfolder in C:\ ? You should be able to save there as non-admin, just not in root of C:/.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 25795
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm

SMcClintock wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:By the way, someone trimmed the log, so it only shows opening one project.

As I said on feedback@, don't save projects to network locations unless you are prepared to deal with permissions and congestion issues.

Gale

Gale, what is a congestion issue?
Not being on a network, I don't consider "Public" a network location. Do you?

See http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=327451#p327451 for why I think your Public folder might be shared with other computers.

Networks slow down if multiple users are using them at the same time. If Audacity cannot access your .AU data files quickly enough it will return that it can't open them.

If there are simple (non-network) permissions problems on the Public Folder or subfolders then you can fix these by right-click over the folder > Properties > Security tab. You need to be logged in with an admin account to make those changes.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 25795
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:The only characters that you cannot use in file names on any version of Windows are these:

\ / : * ? " < > |

This has not changed in Windows 10.

Basically true, but valid file names on Windows are a bit more restrictive than that, and there can be problems with Unicode characters on some external drives.

There's no harm in making "safe everywhere" names a habit, so I'd recommend getting into the habit of using lower case "a to z", "0 to 9" and underscore "_"
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff
 
Posts: 43431
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux Debian

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
Koz is on Mac.

Pity. ;)

Gale Andrews wrote:
SMcClintock wrote:
kozikowski wrote:The log seems to think Windows had a terrible time reaching and managing the directory. "Can't Open.." "Can't Delete.." Is there a permissions issue or security difference between that directory and the one you normally use?

Yes, I saw that and don't know where to look for the fix. I also don't know if that is problem.

The "can't delete" is a minor Audacity bug. The problem is "can't open" the files in the _data folder.

Is there a solution?

Gale Andrews wrote:
SMcClintock wrote:The files are in PUBLIC and every user can access it (which means "me" regardless of whose logon is up).

That is definitely the theory. But you appear to be sharing the Public folder on a network or the internet, which is a risk of using the Public folder . Or if you are not sharing with other computers, what do you mean by:
SMcClintock wrote:20170429 #58...." is 1.57.15.240
20170513...." is 1.58.08.190

Those "1"... sequences look like IP addresses to me.

I was identifying the file names in the log. That sequence is the the date and how I begin the name of every important file (YYYYMMDD). Written this way, files fall in chronological order in the directory.
The IP looking numbers are the project time as identified by Audacity. 1 hr 58 min 08.190 sec. The original location said "almost 2 hours." Sorry if that confused you.
The only thing on a "network" would be the router and the printer. Not sharing files across a network. Son has a gaming computer on Win 10. No files on his.

Gale Andrews wrote:
SMcClintock wrote:The default directory was in Roaming for the user, and that was too confining if I was in a different user's logon. Hense...moved to Public Music.

If you don't have a partition just for media, why not use a subfolder in C:\ ? You should be able to save there as non-admin, just not in root of C:/.

I could. I try to stay with the Win directory hierarchy.
What is the advantage of having a partition for audio?
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:The only characters that you cannot use in file names on any version of Windows are these:

\ / : * ? " < > |

This has not changed in Windows 10.

Basically true, but valid file names on Windows are a bit more restrictive than that, and there can be problems with Unicode characters on some external drives.

There's no harm in making "safe everywhere" names a habit, so I'd recommend getting into the habit of using lower case "a to z", "0 to 9" and underscore "_"

I think the "harm" is the implication that it is way more restrictive than it is. A lot of the audio files on my system have Swedish names, so the above advice is just useless to me. ;) We do need to be clear that Audacity and Windows support Unicode, generally speaking.

Looking at restrictions beyond the nine standard Windows reserved characters, I think then it could be summarised as don't use control characters, and on FAT32 (which is often used on external drives because it is readable on all major operating systems), you also can't (or may not be able to) use

+ , . ; = [ ] ! @

My source for that FAT32 information is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Comparison_of_filename_limitations.

So I stand by saying that # is not a general problem in a file name.

Are the reserved control characters identical with ASCII characters 000 to 031? I don't think the MSDN article is very clear for an end user.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 25795
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm

SMcClintock wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:The "can't delete" is a minor Audacity bug. The problem is "can't open" the files in the _data folder.

Is there a solution?

Fix the permissions problems as I described, or copy the AUP files and _data folders to another folder. "Access is denied" in the log is very clear.


SMcClintock wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:
SMcClintock wrote:The files are in PUBLIC and every user can access it (which means "me" regardless of whose logon is up).

That is definitely the theory. But you appear to be sharing the Public folder on a network or the internet, which is a risk of using the Public folder . Or if you are not sharing with other computers, what do you mean by:
SMcClintock wrote:20170429 #58...." is 1.57.15.240
20170513...." is 1.58.08.190

Those "1"... sequences look like IP addresses to me.

I was identifying the file names in the log. That sequence is the the date and how I begin the name of every important file (YYYYMMDD). Written this way, files fall in chronological order in the directory.
The IP looking numbers are the project time as identified by Audacity. 1 hr 58 min 08.190 sec. The original location said "almost 2 hours." Sorry if that confused you.

OK. People usually separate time units with colons when writing times. So it seems we can rule out a network problem.

SMcClintock wrote:What is the advantage of having a partition for audio?

I find it convenient. The files are separate from the system drive, in case a Windows Update or Reset doesn't preserve your files as intended.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 25795
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:See http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=327451#p327451 for why I think your Public folder might be shared with other computers.

Networks slow down if multiple users are using them at the same time. If Audacity cannot access your .AU data files quickly enough it will return that it can't open them.

If there are simple (non-network) permissions problems on the Public Folder or subfolders then you can fix these by right-click over the folder > Properties > Security tab. You need to be logged in with an admin account to make those changes.

Gale

There really isn't anything in the previous post (your link) that indicates information about the Public Folder. You thought my time data was an IP address.
I've looked at the security for the Directory, and that person has "special permissions" which is not identified.
In this logon I've opened several AUPs and had not problems. It is only these two AUPs.
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Can we bring this around to an actual failure? "Audacity doesn't like it when.....[?]"

Can we put this down to ratty permissions or access to a directory? It would be good to know the failure.


I come from a mixed environment including clients with unknown equipment. Safe filenames everywhere is prudent and I don't have to memorize the rules.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff
 
Posts: 36495
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Mon May 15, 2017 6:55 pm

I copied the AUP and DATA. Within the directory from where they started, they opened, but only with a flat line, just like the original. (During the copy, at least one file required me to enter my admin ID to complete the task.)

I moved them to another directory, and Audacity "could not find" either the AUP file or the DATA directory (even though I double clicked the *.aup file). I then tried to Open from within Audacity, and received the same message.

In the log, some errors are Audacity can't find a file. Others are "access denied." What can be done about the former?
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

PreviousNext

Return to Windows



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], makr and 15 guests