Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

  • Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

  • Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 7:07 pm

SMcClintock wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:[...]If there are simple (non-network) permissions problems on the Public Folder or subfolders then you can fix these by right-click over the folder > Properties > Security tab. You need to be logged in with an admin account to make those changes.

[...]I've looked at the security for the Directory, and that person has "special permissions" which is not identified.
In this logon I've opened several AUPs and had not problems. It is only these two AUPs.

I've excised the quotes about networks which you have confirmed is not the issue.

We know that Windows denies you access to "C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170513 Tracks hr 1& 2_data\e00\d00\" and "C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2 _data\e00\d00\".

Are you now saying that you can access other _data folders in "C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects\"? If so, what are the names of those _data folders? Do the permissions on those folders differ from the permissions of the folders you can't access?

Windows permissions are complex. But you can change anything if you log in as administrator, including taking over ownership of the folder.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 pm

SMcClintock wrote:I copied the AUP and DATA. Within the directory from where they started, they opened, but only with a flat line, just like the original. (During the copy, at least one file required me to enter my admin ID to complete the task.)

I hope you don't mean within the same folder. You must never do that, because you can't do it without renaming the AUP file and the _data folder. Copying in the same folder risks destroying both projects when you open them.

SMcClintock wrote:I moved them to another directory

Which directory, exactly? Are you still logged is another user? Is that user an administrator?

SMcClintock wrote:and Audacity "could not find" either the AUP file or the DATA directory (even though I double clicked the *.aup file). I then tried to Open from within Audacity, and received the same message.

It appears you did not simply move them. The AUP file and _data folder must have the same name. They should have, if you did not rename them.

SMcClintock wrote:In the log, some errors are Audacity can't find a file. Others are "access denied." What can be done about the former?

In such parts of the log that have been presented, the errors about AU files are all "access denied". Errors about FFmpeg are not relevant to this.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 7:33 pm

@SMcClintock: Is your hard drive NTFS? Navigate to "This PC" then right-click the C:\ drive. Click the "General" tab. What is the file system?


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 11:49 pm

As user "Gale" (admin) I saved "20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2.aup" in C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects. I could not save the AUP file name with a space after the final "2", as you seemed to have done.

I logged in as a standard user and opened "20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2.aup" just fine. I have changed no properties on the "Public" folder as I never use it, and so I also have sharing of the Public folder turned off. Turning sharing off means that network users cannot access the folder, but local users on the computer still can.

Here is some information about the Public folder that may help you: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/50179-turn-off-public-folder-sharing-windows-10-a.html.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey...

I switched users to my logon (admin), and the projects opened perfectly.

I exported WAV files. Hot issue of a blank recording resolved.

Will go back over your questions later.

SMc
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 pm

SMcClintock wrote:I switched users to my logon (admin), and the projects opened perfectly.

If so you could probably instead log on as the unprivileged user and right-click Audacity then choose "Run as administrator".

SMcClintock wrote:Will go back over your questions later.

No need to do that. It is a Windows problem, not an Audacity problem.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Sat May 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:As user "Gale" (admin) I saved "20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2.aup" in C:\Users\Public\Music\Audacity Projects. I could not save the AUP file name with a space after the final "2", as you seemed to have done.

I don't know how the space ended up there. It wasn't intentional.

Gale Andrews wrote:I logged in as a standard user and opened "20170429 Tracks #58 hr 1 & 2.aup" just fine. I have changed no properties on the "Public" folder as I never use it, and so I also have sharing of the Public folder turned off. Turning sharing off means that network users cannot access the folder, but local users on the computer still can.

Yes, I had that same experience last night. I opened the file I had made under my admin logon and it opened perfectly.

So weird...if I save it as an AUP under the user ID, it opens as a blank file, although the full length. If I save the AUP under the admin logon, then open it under the user logon, it opens file. WEIRD.

Gale Andrews wrote:Here is some information about the Public folder that may help you: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/50179-turn-off-public-folder-sharing-windows-10-a.html.


TY. I'll check it out.
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Sat May 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
SMcClintock wrote:I switched users to my logon (admin), and the projects opened perfectly.

If so you could probably instead log on as the unprivileged user and right-click Audacity then choose "Run as administrator".

Where do you do this? On the icon in startup, desktop, or task bar? Or after Audacity is open?
I see the ability to 'pin' and uninstall on the icon in startup, and task bar.
GREAT TIP!
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat May 20, 2017 2:46 pm

SMcClintock wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:
SMcClintock wrote:I switched users to my logon (admin), and the projects opened perfectly.

If so you could probably instead log on as the unprivileged user and right-click Audacity then choose "Run as administrator".

Where do you do this? On the icon in startup, desktop, or task bar? Or after Audacity is open?
I see the ability to 'pin' and uninstall on the icon in startup, and task bar.

You would have to launch Audacity as administrator. You can't change the privilege level after Audacity is running.

Yes right-click over "audacity.exe" or a shortcut to it (see the shortcut arrow on the icon) or from the taskbar icon (if you have pinned Audacity there). To run as admin from the taskbar icon you have to do two right-clicks, one over the taskbar icon then another right-click over "Audacity" when that appears near the bottom of the menu.

You can make a shortcut to Audacity run Audacity as admin automatically. Right-click the shortcut, Properties, Shortcut tab then click the "Advanced..." button.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved AUP is Blank when Opened

Permanent link to this post Posted by SMcClintock » Sat May 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:You would have to launch Audacity as administrator. You can't change the privilege level after Audacity is running.

Yes right-click over "audacity.exe" or a shortcut to it (see the shortcut arrow on the icon) or from the taskbar icon (if you have pinned Audacity there). To run as admin from the taskbar icon you have to do two right-clicks, one over the taskbar icon then another right-click over "Audacity" when that appears near the bottom of the menu.

You can make a shortcut to Audacity run Audacity as admin automatically. Right-click the shortcut, Properties, Shortcut tab then click the "Advanced..." button.

That does work for the desktop icon. Not for the start bar one.

Very cool!
SMcClintock
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

PreviousNext

Return to Windows



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests